Healing the Gut - New Years 2008! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started the chlorella because I had lost so many high sulfur foods, and I read that it could improve my sulfur metabolism. And sure enough, I got most of my sulfur foods back at about 2 grams per day. Then I did more reading and it sounds like a super food that detoxifies the digestive tract, and increases beneficial bacteria by 400%. It also pulls heavy metals from your body for excretion. Its 60% protein and high in many many trace minerals. It has really boosted my energy levels. Can you tell I'm sold?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#32 of 47 Old 02-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Then I did more reading and it sounds like a super food that detoxifies the digestive tract, and increases beneficial bacteria by 400%. It also pulls heavy metals from your body for excretion. Its 60% protein and high in many many trace minerals. It has really boosted my energy levels. Can you tell I'm sold?
You're doing this while breastfeeding? I need something like that, but my DS always reacts whenever I take something that even mildly detoxifies me. The only thing that I can take is bentonite clay. I'd like to have something that works a bit harder than just that.

<>< Alison
#33 of 47 Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Lisa,

What brand of Chlorella Algae do you use? I'd like to look into it as well. And maybe the benonite clay as well.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#34 of 47 Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 PM

I need to get back into this thread. We've been following our regimen for a while now. Dd's skin and digestion are great, but of course, we're avoiding her allergens, too. I'm also pregnant again and doing everything I can to have a healthy gut for this new babe.

I wish I could find an enzyme that dd would take easily. It's so hard to find things to mix her enzymes with. I haven't been good about giving them. Almost all the chewable kinds contain some corn-derivative, which she's allergic to.

The other thing. . . I've read before and the article at the beginning of the thread (awesome read, btw!) mentioned again the study of giving Lactobacillus GG to infants to guard against atopy. I never gave it to my dd because we discovered she was allergic when she was a toddler and one of her allergies was dairy. Culturelle has trace amounts of dairy and I haven't found another source of Lactobacillus GG that doesn't. Since she's been dairy-free for 15 mths, I wonder if it would be worth it to give her Culturelle now. If she started reacting to the dairy, I'd have stop. But I wonder if it will even benefit her now since she's older than 6 mths (the time frame of that study). Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I started the chlorella because I had lost so many high sulfur foods, and I read that it could improve my sulfur metabolism. And sure enough, I got most of my sulfur foods back at about 2 grams per day. Then I did more reading and it sounds like a super food that detoxifies the digestive tract, and increases beneficial bacteria by 400%. It also pulls heavy metals from your body for excretion. Its 60% protein and high in many many trace minerals. It has really boosted my energy levels. Can you tell I'm sold?
Did you mention what brand you use? I'd love to get some of this.
#35 of 47 Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 PM

I started out using Source Naturals tablets- expensive, but all I could get locally. Now I'm using Whole Organics capsules- cheaper, from Azure Standard. I just ordered a kilo of powder off eBay... the brand is Jarrow. Taslyn started taking hers this morning. To give her supplements, so far I just mix the probiotic powder with a little lemon-flavored CLO and now chlorella too, and use my finger to wipe it off in her mouth.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#36 of 47 Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 AM

I've finally read Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions-- very interesting!! Its kind of blowing my mind actually because I was vegetarian since my teen years, and then raw foods, and more recently have eaten very limited animal products. My children have been born with tooth enamel problems, and now my very bright son appears to have a learning disability and concentration issues. He had much more soy and other toxins than the younger one. I feel so cheated, because I always tried to have a very healthy, natural diet for myself and our family since before my first pregnancy and look where we've ended up. Even when i was pregnant with my first, I took Bradley classes, and so loaded on protein, eggs, yogurt, etc., but I also ate a ton of soy trying to get all that protein I needed... Well just getting this off my chest. I'm not even sure I'm totally on board yet, as my son seems to have some trouble tolerating animal protein (both observationally and he tested low in a number of essential amino acids), and he tested allergic to beef, duck, eggs, casein, gluten, corn, soy, and gelatin (among many others), so I'm not really sure where to begin...

I heard someone talking about hydrochloric acid to help with protein digestion. How does this work out? Do you all think this might help us?

we've been on an elimination/rotation diet now for about 6 weeks. I'm thinking bone broths might really help us (because of the very available amino acids), but I am afraid to try it, because that is basically gelatin, which he is supposedly allergic too, but maybe if I just stay away from beef gelatin?? I'm thinking chicken, and lamb...

I'd also like to start reintroducing dairy with raw, cultured dairy, but I'm looking for a source currently...

I'm also planning to do young coconut keffir, but I need to order keffir grains...

My son is craving eggs, and bread... Can anyone suggest gluten-free sprouted/soaked bread recipe? I really want to get away from the rice cakes he is currently subsisting on.

And what to do about eggs. They are such a healthy food, but my doc says that is an allergy that is often lifelong...

Sorry for the random post.. Any suggestions, any BTDT, would be helpful.
#37 of 47 Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM

I'm bumping this because I have been meaning to read it and join in and because another Mama was asking about it....
#38 of 47 Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:
#39 of 47 Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM

subbing! I've been hoping this thread would revive & the experts would come back to it to help us newbies!
#40 of 47 Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

I've been around, I've done a ton of research, I know the lingo. I'm at the point where I thought I knew what I was talking about, but now I feel like I don't know anything at all anymore. Sigh. I'll answer as many questions as I can!

Our update: we're on a massive elimination diet (we eat oatmeal, white rice, lots of meat/seafood, veggies, a tiny bit of fruit, honey, and maple syrup). I'm trialing ghee and egg yolks, then thinking about either GAPS/SCD (though I really want to keep my oatmeal and rice), Failsafe (but the thought of amine-free meat is overwhelming), and making up my own diet. Leaning towards my own.

I'm thinking candida might be a bigger problem than I originally thought. What are all the candida diets you know of?

Enterolab results (for me) say gluten sensitivity, 1 celiac gene, 1 gluten-sensitivity gene, borderline not-sensitive to casein (yay!) and *NO* fat malabsorption. The fat malabsorption thing totally blew me because just before getting the results, I'd linked high fat snacks with my own digestive problems, then started taking a high-lipase enzyme, and all the issues disappeared!

Speaking of enzymes, I just looked back at our food journal, and the start of enzymes marked the start of MUCH better digestion for myself, AND the start of impossible bedtimes for dd.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#41 of 47 Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM

The Body Ecology Diet is the best candida diet I've run across.
#42 of 47 Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonymama View Post
The Body Ecology Diet is the best candida diet I've run across.
I've heard about the BED, but don't know much about it. Can you summarize it in a nutshell?

#43 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 12:33 PM

You cut out all fruits and sugars like most candida diets. She allows some grains (properly soaked): quinoa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat, and focuses on enzyme content, cultured foods, and food combining. Coconut keffir usually features prominently. Eventually cultured and raw dairy is allowed. I haven't gone on it fully yet, but I've really like the recipes I've tried. I'm thinking seriously of starting the full diet. If I had candida I definitely would.

The SCD also would be something to consider, but I don't like how it features so many nuts and doesn't focus on soaking, sprouting, or culturing.

I also like the Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions, but NT seems more like a longterm way of eating after a healing/cleansing diet.
#44 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Check out this study: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/3/534

Gut flora linked to obesity.

I think the authors of the study came up with the wrong conclusion (the staph bacteria causes inflammation which somehow contributes to obesity). They missed a few intermediate steps (the subjects probably also have yeast overgrowth, which causes sugar cravings, and insulin resistance, which leads to fat storage & lethargy (a la Taubes), all of which are the result of formula/vaccines/antibiotics/sugar/grain-heavy diets). But the study seems to be a great confirmation of the work put into healing the gut.

Of course, I'm sure their next step is a headline: Obesity Germ Found! & a prescription drug to kill the staph. :
#45 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Well to be fair, it did say that the kids were "matched for gestational age and body mass index at birth, mode of delivery, probiotic supplementation, duration of breastfeeding, use of antibiotics during infancy" -- so it sounds like things like whether or not they were formula-fed is already taken into account.

I haven't read the entire article, just the abstract linked to. So I don't know what level of detail they go to in their conclusions about HOW the specific gut flora contribute to obesity. The abstract only seems to be saying that there is a link, but doesn't go further into causation or process.

I think the more interesting thing would be determining the reasons why certain infants had the different flora in the first place -- they can't ALL be formula babies after all. If it were that simple a link it would have been found long ago.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#46 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

No, definitely not just formula. It starts with the flora you get from your mother (which is affected by her formula/vax/antibx/hormonal-contraception/etc. status), is affected by vaginal or surgical birth, who first holds the baby, how he is fed (even ONE bottle of formula can disrupt the new baby's flora dramatically), vaccination, antiobiotcs, grains, and sugar.

I apologize; I don't think the abstract went into the conclusions. Here's a media report on the study. http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080308...redictsobesity
According to the overview, the researchers suggest that the impact on gut flora may be a part of why breastfeeding is associated with decreased obesity risk.
#47 of 47 Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

new thread!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=10993790

Time to revive the gut healing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page