Help me kick this cough! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS started coughing on Dec. 22 and it kept him awake for two or three nights, then he starting sleeping and got better within the week. I got it from him and I can't seem to get rid of it! The cough is not constant anymore but comes on during the night enough to wake me up and keep me awake until I manage to expel some phlegm. I have not had a complete night's sleep in over two weeks and I think that's why I just can't kick this. Sorry if this next part's TMI but I need your help! I'm blowing lots of yellow stuff out my nose and the phlegm that I manage to expel (almost at the price of a lung most times) has been yellow and is now becoming more green. My ears feel clogged, itchy at times and a little sore at times. Mostly I'm just exhausted and sick of being sick. I'm taking SA and CLO. What else can I do (besides sleep obviously) to help this nasty cold get out of my life for good? My dh is insisting I go to the doc and I'm running out of excuses. Help!

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM

I could have posted this myself. My little DD got the cough after Christmas and it has been lingering. Recently it moved into her nose with lots of snot. She is happy and has no fever and seems to sleep fine, but I am tired of her being sick. Also I caught it about a week ago and I am coughing sometimes so hard that I think I am going to throw up! I don't have any other issues except really nasty colored snot coming out of my nose. DD is taking Hylands homeopathics for sniffles and sneezes and the cough syrup. I have been drinking lemon, honey, ginger and cayenne. I guess I need to gargle more salt too. I am drinking lots of Emergen-C too.
Subbing for tips too!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Hi,

traycanadian, what's SA and CLO? I have the same nasty cough and yellow mucus, and DD's just gotten it. This has been going on for 6 WEEKS! I finally threw down the gauntlet and started all I know to do:

salt gargle, sipping lemon/honey, saline rinse through the nose, Emergen-C, fresh oranges, baby Vicks... even Dayquil for three doses but had a reaction so no more.

KellyMom also suggests strong black tea, fenugreek tea for congestion & cough, chamomile tea for cough, also a diluted apple cider vinegar gargle.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiea View Post
Hi,

traycanadian, what's SA and CLO? I have the same nasty cough and yellow mucus, and DD's just gotten it. This has been going on for 6 WEEKS! I finally threw down the gauntlet and started all I know to do:

salt gargle, sipping lemon/honey, saline rinse through the nose, Emergen-C, fresh oranges, baby Vicks... even Dayquil for three doses but had a reaction so no more.

KellyMom also suggests strong black tea, fenugreek tea for congestion & cough, chamomile tea for cough, also a diluted apple cider vinegar gargle.
6 weeks!?!? OMG...you poor thing! I could never be sick that long, I'd seriously lose my mind.

SA= sodium ascorbate (vitamin c). I usually start this in earnest at the onset of any viral symptoms up to 16 g per day for me and it usually knocks out whatever I'm getting. This time my illness started while I was away, didn't have my usual stash of stuff with me, was taking care of sick ds, up all night, not eating properly, etc.

CLO= cod liver oil. I take a tsp of this every day during the winter but have been taking two tsps per day since my cough worsened.

Wanted to mention that I am feeling so much better today because I dropped into my local Naturopath's office yesterday and she gave me a homeopathic remedy. I slept more than 2 hours in a row last night (5 in a row and 7 in total!) for the first time in over 2 weeks. The remedy basically eased my cough, helped the mucous come out more easily and as a result I didn't need to hack up a lung 3 times during the night. I definitely still need some extra rest to be back to normal but I finally feel like I've turned the corner.

Do you have a Homeopath or Naturopath you could see in your town? I think 6 weeks is a really long time to be that sick. I couldn't handle it for 2 weeks, I can't even imagine being that sick for that long! Anyway, my Naturopath gave me Causticum, overview here:

http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Caust/cough

and it helped almost immediately.

Hope you feel better!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi,

Yes, it's been a looong time sick. Never before have I dealt with a bug this long. I think it's a combo of having to do Xmas travel in the middle of it (just when I thought the sick was over), and not listening to myself/slowing down.

I took a 2 hr nap alongside DD yesterday and so far that seems to be the best medicine yet. I do have a name for an herbalist in town, there are few alt med people to choose from here I think. I will look him up if need be.

Hope you all are getting better too.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you tried inhaling steam?

bring a pot of water to a boil, add a spoon of vicks and a dash of tumeric if you have it. take it off the stove, cover yourself with a blanket or towel and get as close to the pot as comfortable and inhale. it should help get the plegm out.

Vicks also makes something you put on your shower floor.

feel better!

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM

This bug seems to be sweeping the nation!
And, man is that phlegm tenacious!?

Our household has it also.
Little people seem to tend to swallow more mucous rather than expel it during cough attacks, hence there is also some nausea and up it comes (sorry! Hope yr not eating while you read this!)

I've been boiling a small pot of water and adding essential oil of peppermint/
We stand over the steam and inhale and also let it fill the house to clean the air.

Olive leaf extract is a wonderful antiviral herb which helps us.
Also oregano oil.

I've been sipping ginger tea throughout the day as well which really helps. And drinking a bit of acv which is s'posed to help break up chest congestion.

Homeopathic Arsenicum helps us.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm keeping notes with all your remedy suggestions for the next time (probably during the next Christmas frenzy). I'm feeling so much better....I hope you all are too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieP View Post
This bug seems to be sweeping the nation!
And, man is that phlegm tenacious!?
You said it! I'm in the Seattle area too and EVERYONE I've talked to has had it! Exact same symptoms. Yuck.

User Tag List