Bruises Everywhere!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-25-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

For the past few months I have noticed that I am getting bruises so easily. At the moment I have about 8-10 bruises on my legs, and it seems to always be that way lately. And for all except a few, I have no idea how I got them. Some mornings I'll get out of the shower and notice two or three new ones that seem to have appeared in my sleep. Does anyone have any idea what causes bruising like this. My new insurance doesn't kick in until Sept. 1, so I have to wait to see a doctor, but it's really starting to concern me. Do any vitamin/mineral deficiencies cause easy bruising?
Thanks for any info you all can provide.
#2 of 9 Old 08-25-2003, 09:22 PM

I'm no professional, but I think vitamin K helps with clotting, so maybe that's it? Possibly not enough Iron? Also, are you taking any asprin? I know that that can thin your blood, which would make for an easy bruise, I think. Like I said, I'm no Pro, but this is what comes to mind.
K
#3 of 9 Old 08-25-2003, 10:49 PM

duplicate
#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2003, 10:50 PM

Lack of vitamin C will also cause you to bruise easily. Women bruise more easily anyway due to our estrogen making our capillary walls weaker.
If you do bash yourself take Arnica Montana, homeopathic remedy, works really well if you can get it in you immediately.
#5 of 9 Old 08-26-2003, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.

Hilary- No, no sensitive or bleeding gums here. Why do you ask?
#6 of 9 Old 08-26-2003, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm glad your insurance starts soon so you can look into this! Maybe you could make an appointment now, for after the 1st? Unexplained bruising can be a symptom of leukemia, so it's definitely worth checking out! Nutritional deficiency is much more likely, but still, don't let this go on.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 9 Old 08-28-2003, 04:02 AM

I bruise very easily too and have always had this problem. I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease- it is an autoimmune reaction to gluten and was basically malnourished in spite of eating well/taking vits-- I think bruising can be a sign something is needing attention healthwise. I hope all is well and you find some answers.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 9 Old 08-28-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful info. It's difficult to consider a deficiency since I have a really good diet and still take a prenatal suplement(nursing DD). I did quick google on easy bruising and found that it can be a sign of all sorts of things, or it can be nothing at all. Regardless, I'm going to have myself checked out, especially since DH and I are ttc and I just want to be extra sure that everythings okay.
Thanks again.
#9 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 11:10 PM

Vitamn K is especially important if you bruise easily - as I do and always have. Also you can do things to "tone" your blood. Red meat is a no-brainer, but if you are a veggie, beets & wheatgrass can do the trick. you have to take the wheatgrass every day though - i couldnt stomach it because it repeats terribly on me. i think there is a drink you can get called green magma which you can sub for the wheatgrass if its too expensive or not readily available.

I agree though with your thought - if this is a fairly new phenomonon better to be safe that sorry and go have yourself checked out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page