What age to check for scoliosis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD has scoliosis on both sides of her family, and I really want to stay on top of watching about it. Do you know at what age you're supposed to be checked for scoliosis?

Thanks!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I honestly don't know. I have it, but didn't know I had it until I was 19. I was in a car accident and had horrible back pain afterwards. I got an x-ray to check for problems, and they told me I had scoliosis - not from the accident of course.

THEN my mom told me that it ran in the family. She has it, my aunt has it, etc.

I started chiropractic care and have had regular maintenance since. It doesn't 'fix' the twist, but it keeps me functional. I have a "major rotatory scoliosis", which despite the title is relatively benign. It doesn't warrant a brace or surgery or anything, I'm just a little crooked lol...

And to be honest, I don't know what difference would have made to know about it sooner. Since it wasn't bad enough for us to even be suspicious, would knowing have done any good? Would I have just become nervous about it?

If you're concerned, I'd just suggest regular chiropractic care... they'll tell you when it's becoming a concern. Young children's backs regularly bend and straighten as they grow, so it's probably not until after puberty that it's actually "scoliosis". But I don't know that for sure.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#3 of 3 Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had dd’s well check last month and discovered she had it. She just turned 11. The dr said it tends to appear more in adolescent girls. We do well checks about every other year and it just now showed up. Her curve is only 16 degrees and symmetrical so we will just monitor it for the next two years while she is growing. My father, a male cousin and dh’s father has it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page