Is bacterial infection without fever possible? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS (9 months) has just gotten over 5 days straight of a fever. His doc prescribed antibiotics, but his fever went away after the first 2 doses, (i.e. the day they were prescribed). I hate to give them if they are not needed and nothing (ie. no swabs) were done to ID anything bacterial, the doc went by how sick he was and how long the fever went on for.

His diagnosis was ear infection and when DH questioned whether abx were really needed, the doc said ear infections are almost always bacterial. I have read lots about ear infections on here and I know many are resolved without abx.

I'm no doc, but there is an outbreak at DS's daycare of Adenovirus which can cause fever, so I'm sure that's what he had (he had other symptoms too).

So, if his fever is gone, do I really need the abx or is it possible that there is still nasty bacteria festering in there somewhere and I should do the abx?? (We've so far done 1 of the 10 day cycle). This virus is apprently very nasty and has turned to pneumonia in some of the kids who have it.

Anyone know?
#2 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM

If you already started them I'd probably continue until they were finished.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#3 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM

:

I think you can make an infection much more virulent if you stop during the course.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 6 Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM

My little guy just got over a five day long fever as well...no other symptoms other than irritablilty. I took him to the doc on the 5th day and he said the ears were fine, strept throat test negative, so wait one more day and if fever didn't break we'd start abx. The next day fever was gone. I've had this happen to my older two as well. I remember one time putting my middle child on an abx on day 5 of a fever and the next day she was fine, so she probably didn't need the meds. But I'd definitley stick with it if you've already started abx because rebound infection if it was a bacterial infection and meds are stopped too soon.
#5 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so if he is supposed to get the abx 3 times/day for 10 days, (morning, afternoon and night) and we gave him 1 of the 10 days, (a dose Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, missed Sunday am, but gave Sunday afternoon, none since Sunday afternoon, it is now Tuesday night) would you start them again?

I'm not sure if 1 of 10 days - 2 days ago - is considered "starting"? Probably? Is it too late to restart?

He's had no fever since Monday at 5am and was super tired yesterday but 80% himself today (Tues). He acted like his ears hurt yesterday (Mon) so I gave him Tylenol before bed to help him get to sleep, he fussed a little in the night, didn't want to sleep on his left side and acted like his ears hurt this morning. So I put breastmilk in his ears this morning, and he's acted fine/not in pain all day, (knock on wood...) and went to bed easily tonight and has had no issues lying on either side today/tonight.

Would the duration of the fever (5 days) be what led the doc to believe it was bacterial? (He has an appt on Friday to have them checked again - I was thinking that if it's not gone by then, I'd do abx then?)
#6 of 6 Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
is it possible that there is still nasty bacteria festering in there somewhere
Yes, it is possible...

Once you start abx, it is better to complete the course, for reasons PPs have stated. I know it is a drag, esp when you suspect it was not even bacterial in the first place, so you could try asking your doctor if there is some way to tell even at this point. But in absence of that, you don't have much basis to discontinue. Usually the main symptoms do clear up well before the course is complete.
You can look up "missed dose of antiobiotics" on the internet to see how many days you need to make up but the last thing you want are resistent bacteria.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page