Treating thrush...colloidal silver? acidophilus? both? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think that DS2 (8 weeks) may have thrush in his diaper area. I thought it was just diaper rash, but it's gotten pretty bumpy, and after three days of airing out (no diaper most of the day), it's better and less red, but still bumpy and irritated looking. I've had a couple of people tell me that it maybe looked like thrush.

I'd like to treat this as naturally as possible. Since colloidal silver is anti-fungal, can I use that? If so, should I also give him acidophilus, orally, to keep up the good flora in his system? Or, should I just treat it topically with acidophilus?

My only hesitation with oral acidophilus is that it's dairy based (and the ones that aren't dairy based are soy or fish based), and I have a lot of allergies, so we delay dairy until well after a year, and he's only 8 weeks old! I know that the composition is different than milk, but I still hesitate. That could be silly though, I dunno. I've never been able to come to a solid conclusion on it...

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just treat it with breast milk on the spots.

As for cows milk - not a good idea. Ever. http://www.notmilk.com

And if you have a lot of allergies, please get informed about vaccines before you get him injected with all those chemicals. jmo
#3 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Honestly, it is best to let the fungus run its course, but it will take between 5 and 6 weeks, which is probably not something you are willing to do! So, I would recommend coating his butt with unheated honey. Only use cloth diapers and change very frequently. The honey with the cloth diaper will smother the fungus, but it doesn't remove the reason for the thrush.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 AM

Acidophilus is not the primary beneficial bacteria for infants. Bifidobacteria are. Since you have allergies already, you might want to supplement with bifido to prevent them. You can find dairy free versions or just take yourself. See my post #20 in Gut Healing Tribe sticky for background.
#5 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 AM

And I always thought collodial silver was just antibacterial? Do you have info on anti fungal properties?
#6 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM

It's antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. If you google it you will come up with tons of information. IT is a godsend when dealing with thrush in mama or baby when the pain needs to be managed. Unheated honey is also brilliant.
#7 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Yeast is systemic and shared between a nursing couple. Local treatment in the diaper area will provide relief but won't kick it out all together. There are lots of regimens for getting rid of yeast. I go for the time tested, simple approach.
Both DS's and I developed thrush when they were around your babe's age. I cleared it up pretty quickly by getting the white stuff out of my diet, doing a wash of 1T of vinegar to 1 C of h2O on my nips and the baby's diaper area, taking acidophilus myself...there's plenty of good bacteria in your baby's gut. No need to supplement him unless there's been a recent round of antibiotics. Sometimes I would take grapefruit seed extract.
#8 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

nak

thank you all for the responses!

the good news is that today it seems to be almost completely clear, so maybe it weas just a regular diaper rash after all! i'm definitely glad that i will have all of this info in my arsenal should we actually have thrush issues in the future!

all of the info (esp. the healing the gut tribe thread, which i am subscibed to, but always forget to refer to or refresh my memory with ), was a wake-up call that i need to get out of the rut i've let us get into, before we really do develop yeast infections or something worse. i've let the rough pp days, combined with fibromyalgia, get the better of me, eating lots of crackers (ww and organic, but still with waaay too many dead ingredients), buying sort-of junky breads at the store instead of making my own, etc. i needed a kick in the butt to get me out of the haze, so thank you, thank you, thank you, JaneS and chiromama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I would just treat it with breast milk on the spots.

As for cows milk - not a good idea. Ever. http://www.notmilk.com

And if you have a lot of allergies, please get informed about vaccines before you get him injected with all those chemicals. jmo
oh, yeah, breastmilk. duh. why do i always forget about the medicine i make for free?

intresting info in the link. thanks.

we don't vaccinate. actually, i think you and i have had this exact conversation before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Honestly, it is best to let the fungus run its course, but it will take between 5 and 6 weeks, which is probably not something you are willing to do! So, I would recommend coating his butt with unheated honey. Only use cloth diapers and change very frequently. The honey with the cloth diaper will smother the fungus, but it doesn't remove the reason for the thrush.
does it really juast die off on it's own? honey is a great idea. i wonder if it can help with just regular diaper rash...if so, it's a good thing i have a gallon and a half of raw honey, lol, because he has sensitive skin, so this may be an ongoing problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Acidophilus is not the primary beneficial bacteria for infants. Bifidobacteria are. Since you have allergies already, you might want to supplement with bifido to prevent them. You can find dairy free versions or just take yourself. See my post #20 in Gut Healing Tribe sticky for background.
thank you for this info. i don't have a dairy allergy (just every environmental one possible, and OAS), so i can do a dairy-based supp. subduing them would be absolutely amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
Yeast is systemic and shared between a nursing couple. Local treatment in the diaper area will provide relief but won't kick it out all together. There are lots of regimens for getting rid of yeast. I go for the time tested, simple approach.
Both DS's and I developed thrush when they were around your babe's age. I cleared it up pretty quickly by getting the white stuff out of my diet, doing a wash of 1T of vinegar to 1 C of h2O on my nips and the baby's diaper area, taking acidophilus myself...there's plenty of good bacteria in your baby's gut. No need to supplement him unless there's been a recent round of antibiotics. Sometimes I would take grapefruit seed extract.
nope, no abx.

what does gse do for yeast?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#9 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 05:52 PM

i'm glad its gone...but if it should come back...
i see you are in So. Ca so i would put him out in the sun, butt up for less than 5 minutes a day. This is the ONLY thing that got rid of a TERRIBLE yeast rash on my ds.

I actually don't recommend Breastmilk for a yeast rash b/c it does have sugar in it and yeast feeds off sugar.

btw, we tried EVERYTHING and had months of this going on along with nipple thrush, so hopefuly you dont' have it! would be happy to PM should things get worse.
#10 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM

GSE has antifungal properties. I was so glad when they came out with the tablets. That liquid was brutal.
#11 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmama View Post
i'm glad its gone...but if it should come back...
i see you are in So. Ca so i would put him out in the sun, butt up for less than 5 minutes a day. This is the ONLY thing that got rid of a TERRIBLE yeast rash on my ds.

I actually don't recommend Breastmilk for a yeast rash b/c it does have sugar in it and yeast feeds off sugar.

btw, we tried EVERYTHING and had months of this going on along with nipple thrush, so hopefuly you dont' have it! would be happy to PM should things get worse.
thanks. no nipple thrush so far, and hopefully it will stay that way! i'll let you know if it gets worse and i need a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
GSE has antifungal properties. I was so glad when they came out with the tablets. That liquid was brutal.
oh, wow, i haven't seen tablets! i usually just spend ten minutes making gagging noises after i take the liquid with some oj, lol. my 2 y/o doesn't even seem to notice how awful it is, but maybe that's because his is usually mixed with sambucol.

#12 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM

I would try other more natural things before trying GSE, it will kill both good and bad bacteria in your gut and you need to have a strong probiotic on board before taking it. But your baby is so young to take this approach...

Baking soda baths are great for yeast, yeast thrives in acidic environments and it is likely that your body is acidic. YOu could look into acid/alkaline balance in your diet to help this. You can get urine pH test strips to see how acidic you are. Add 2-3 cups baking soda to a bath.

Also I was just reading this today:
http://lassesen.com/cfids/recommended_levels.htm

It talks about how people with fibromyalgia have low levels of vitamin D, do you take cod liver oil?

We create our own reality.
#13 of 15 Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I would try other more natural things before trying GSE, it will kill both good and bad bacteria in your gut and you need to have a strong probiotic on board before taking it. But your baby is so young to take this approach...

Baking soda baths are great for yeast, yeast thrives in acidic environments and it is likely that your body is acidic. YOu could look into acid/alkaline balance in your diet to help this. You can get urine pH test strips to see how acidic you are. Add 2-3 cups baking soda to a bath.

Also I was just reading this today:
http://lassesen.com/cfids/recommended_levels.htm

It talks about how people with fibromyalgia have low levels of vitamin D, do you take cod liver oil?
You know, I've been wanting to check into my acidity for a long time...it's just one of those things I keep forgetting about or putting off...

Interesting info on vit d and fibro. I do take CLO, when my brain remembers to. It doesn't help that DH keeps moving it to the bottom of the fridge door, so I can't see it to remember!

Okay, I think I officially have information overload! :

#14 of 15 Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the rash has gotten worse again since I last posted. It's stayed in the same area, so it's not spreading. It seems to be an on-again, off-again type of thing, sort of.

Anyway, I started myself on a probiotic yesterday, and I'm going to start putting raw honey on the rash today, for his comfort. I think we'll start those baking soda baths too. Unfortunately, putting him out in the sun isn't going to work right now because it's raining.

#15 of 15 Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
nak

does it really juast die off on it's own? honey is a great idea. i wonder if it can help with just regular diaper rash...if so, it's a good thing i have a gallon and a half of raw honey, lol, because he has sensitive skin, so this may be an ongoing problem.
Yes, when it has done its job. The fungus is there to remove toxins and the body will heal. But it isn't fun living with it.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page