DH night sweats - Cant Stand it - help! Whole room smells sour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help with DH and his night sweats. His sweats are sour and cause a funk in our room - not to mention the yellow stains on bedding. I have given up on pretty linens. Pretty linens dont mean anything in the midst of co-sleeping and baby/toddler urps!

DH is on antidepressants. A Med Change is NOT an option ( finding the right cocktail for a bipolar partner was a struggle and he is doing AWESOME) He has putrid night sweats. They are so bad he has a layer of moisture on his body - ok he feels SLIMY!! he says "Michelle - it pools in my ears and runs out!" His body feels like its on fire.

DH normal hygiene routine is only so-so so that doesn't help. He showers every other day as do I - but he is more oily.

Sometimes I can convince him we need to use 2 blankets - one for me and one for him but his feelings get hurt because he likes to be close. I usually will snuggle him but tuck the covers between us so I can get a layer between us.

I dont know what to do. The most I can wash our bedding is once a week.

Our room gets a funk - Our nanny gets our daughter out of our room everymorning -

UGH! Im 5 months pregnant and its bugging me more -I wake up because he STINKS

ANy help mamma's?

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#2 of 4 Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM

I would be honest with him. I would really want to know if I had that problem.

After that, I would suggest a quick pre-bedtime shower and then a dusting with powder (maybe cornstarch or baking soda mixed with an essential oil if either of you wants that too). I used to have terrible night sweats from night terrors, I kept a shaker of cornstarch and lavender in my room. I would powder up before changing my shirt.
#3 of 4 Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Have him take an epsom salt bath 1-2 cups, or as much as he can tolerate. Also add 1-2 cups of baking soda. Both these will help him detox.

We create our own reality.
#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Do you know for sure that the night sweats are a side effect of his medication? If so, there may not be anything you can do short of switching (which doesn't sound like an option).

He should mention it to his Dr. to see if there is anything else they can do. A friend of mine is in the same situation (but is a woman). Her dr. is considering a hormone imbalance caused by the meds. Don't know if that would apply to men though.

Otherwise, I think he's just going to have to start showering more! Once a day maybe, right before bed?

~Julia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page