Going for LASIK consult- UPDATE! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the lasik done 6/05 and it was great! I didn't take the drugs, I'm the type that is nervous making the decision, but then as long as I know what will happen I'm okay with it. In January, I renewed my drivers license and noticed I struggled a little with the letters. I brushed it off--denial that things could have been changing. In February I took a postpartum doula training and we each had to read out loud from an overhead. I was closer then the others in the class and I again was struggling to read it. So last month I went for the annual eye exam and ended up with a rx for glasses! I started with a very high astigmatism, that was corrected with the lasik about 90%. It is still way better then it was, but I find the need to put on the glasses for driving and to really get things as crisp as I was used to after the lasik. I went back to my surgeon yesterday and he suggested doing an AK surgery which will relax the curvature of the cornea which should help the remaining astigmatism. Do I really want to risk another surgery--the possibility of causing problems that I avoided the first time? On the other hand, I really want the great vision back. AK is not a laser, its just a small cut, but the thought of yet another cut on my eyes makes me uneasy. Seems no biggie to these Doc's, but I have to weigh it all out. I'm 45 and really don't want to start dealing with progressive lenses etc He did say that after doing the AK, I would be in readers for sure, until this point I have avoided the readers unless the lighting was really low or the print was just really tiny.
Please give your opinions--don't want to put a damper on eveyone wanting to do the lasik--I would probably do it all over again. Having had glasses since kindergarten and getting to the point of not being able to wear toric lenses, I was at that breaking point!
#32 of 33 Old 04-23-2008, 02:35 PM

I don't know what I would do in your situation. I am going in for a touch up on one eye to bring me back to perfect. I don't want to go back to glasses, I love my freedom.

Decluttering 500/2010
#33 of 33 Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM

So, your touch up will be just lifting the flap and having more lasik done--I wish I could just do that, but I guess after 3 years he doesn't want to mess around with a fully healed and back to normal flap.
I guess I just need to email the doc and ask more questions. I felt really rushed out of there and I don't know where the consumer end of my brain was--out to lunch! I don't want to go back to glasses either, but if I don't weigh everything I'll be nervous having it done. When I had it done last time the doc told me that I was one of the calmest patients he had ever had. If he only knew how nervous I was making the decision--and that's where I'm at right now. So, lasik is a slice across and this proceduce is a cut down--that should make me feel better
Good luck with your enhancement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page