Acupuncture: Is it supposed to hurt after? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I've recently begun seeing a physiotherapist for my very sore wrists (due to frequent knitting and computer use) and the treatment we have decided on is acupunture, the ultrasound thing that reduces inflammation and I am to ice it a couple times a day.

However, I find that the acupuncture hurts bit and then afterwards my wrists hurt more than ever. Yesterday I had a treatment and for the rest of the day I could not do a whole lot and my wrists were throbbing.

My question is: Is this normal? Like is this one of those treatments where it hurts more a bit in the short term, but has long term results? I see my physiotherapist again on Tuesday and I'll be asking her the same questions, but I wanted some other opinions too.

Thanks in advance!

Lesley
#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I cross posted this in Health and Healing, but thought I'd do it here too since this place gets so much traffic...

Hi,

I've recently begun seeing a physiotherapist for my very sore wrists (due to frequent knitting and computer use) and the treatment we have decided on is acupunture, the ultrasound thing that reduces inflammation and I am to ice it a couple times a day.

However, I find that the acupuncture hurts bit and then afterwards my wrists hurt more than ever. Yesterday I had a treatment and for the rest of the day I could not do a whole lot and my wrists were throbbing.

My question is: Is this normal? Like is this one of those treatments where it hurts more a bit in the short term, but has long term results? I see my physiotherapist again on Tuesday and I'll be asking her the same questions, but I wanted some other opinions too.

Thanks in advance!

Lesley
#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

it is normal for the treatments to cause discomfort temporarily (say within 24 hours but generally not longer than that), as the energy is moving through the system.

it's not uncommon for the needles to hurt when inserted--but it should only be a small pinch and generally doesn't hurt and any pinch feeling dissipates very quickly (immediately, within moments).

but, if you experience constant pain from the needles and lasting pain from the treatments, i would recommend another practitioner.

you might also like myofacial release techniques--as the common origin of this sort of problem is tightening of the myofacial sheath--the connective tissue of the body, and in this case, your wrist.

good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM

I had achiness in my hands for a couple days after my first couple acupuncture sessions--and nothing is wrong with my hands. My husband did, too. We asked our acupuncturist and she said this sometimes happens, I forget why, but it wasn't a sign that things were bad/wrong. But I could only imagine how bad it would be if you already had hand/wrist problems.
#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Apuncture is NOT supposed to hurt afterwards, especially two days later !! Did the acupuncturists technique seem strong? or if you never had acupuncture before, maybe you could not judge. I am thinking the afterpain was a factor of the condition that brought you to the acupuncturist to begin with. Do/did you have fibromyalgia? [Acupuncture sometimes works for that condition but in other cases cannot be tolerated.] Are/were you extra sensitive in any other parts of your body lately? How did you do with the ice and ultrasound? Sensitive to those also? I hope you found relief. It does not sound as if you were the best candidate for acupuncture. Sounds like there may have been a lot of inflammation. I hope you are better now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page