6-month-old having no bowel movements for days - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apologies in advance for this being a slightly icky topic, but I figure as parents we're all used to dealing with poo, hopefully...

Last Thursday, our son Aidan came down with some sort of stomach bug that's apparently been going around. He was throwing up for most of one night, and then had diarrhea for a couple of days. By Saturday, the consistency of his bowel movements was back to normal (and he'd also passed whatever he had on to two of this three parents, but I guess that part's not relevant).

The problem is that after that, he pretty much stopped pooping altogether, at least until today. He usually has one big bowel movement each day, or sometimes lots of little ones each day. The most time he's ever skipped is a day and a half. But he didn't poo at all from Saturday evening to this afternoon -- five days! Nothing, not even a little bit. And when he finally did go today, twice, it was just a tiny bit each time.

Kettunainen (my wife, and Aidan's bio-mom) is not worried any more now that he has done at least a little bit -- she thinks he just cleaned out his system so thoroughly with the diarrhea that it took this long for his intestines to repopulate with stuff to get rid of. But that doesn't really make sense to me -- it doesn't take five days for food to go through you, even for an adult. He was nursing regularly for the whole time (he's just shy of six months, so no solids yet), so nutrition was going in, but nothing was coming out (except pee).

We were initially worried he might have some kind of intestinal blockage, but pressing on his abdomen didn't reveal any kind of mass, and he hasn't been acting like he's sick or in pain or anything. He's been totally perky and full of energy the whole time, ever since he got over being sick.

So we're kinda at a loss. Has anyone else run into anything like this? Is this somewhere within the realm of "normal"? Could it be an after-effect of the diarrhea?

He has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday (not specifically for this, just for a regular checkup), but we'd really like to get this resolved before then.

Thanks for any info anyone may have...
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 AM

if he is eating cereal you can add in some prunes a little at each feeding. My dd has had repetitive bowel problems. (btw, baby poo doesnt gross me) Prunes have been the answer for us. a Ped. will most likely prescribe Miralaz if it continues. I havent tried it because the prunes did fine. take care!
#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't worry. EBF babies can go up to 10 days without pooping, because they become so efficient at absorbing milk. I would guess that the stomach bug did clear him out completely, and now he's just catching up. I would be much more worried if you had already started him on solids, but generally ebf babes are never constipated - they just poop less frequently.

My ds is 9 mos, but doesn't do more than taste solids here or there, and goes 3-4 days between poops.
#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd give him a bit of cod liver oil every day. Lube the system up a bit. And mabye some probiotics to help replace the flora that got washed out.
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, as it turns out, just now as I was reading these responses, Kettu took him into the bathroom (we're doing EC) and he had a huge poo. So I guess all is well.

But thanks for the replies anyway!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page