These periods are going to kill me. TMI TMI TMI TMI. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You saw the TMI warning, so don't say I never warned you

My periods are horrible. This one is actually better than they have been, but night time just kills me. I lay in bed and my legs and butt just ACHE! I can't get comfy and it's like a sharp pain. When I lay in bed, as soon as I roll over or move in bed, I gush blood. I have to sleep on a towel and usually end up changing at least once. It's horrible. I'm seriously considering wearing an incontinent brief at night. I drink very little caffeine, I drink a lot of water. I don't know what else could be causing the pain. I have no pain in my midsection, it's all in my legs, butt, or vaginal area. Any ideas?
#2 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Yes. I HAVE worn adult diapers lined with pads, and using a tampon to bed. Hell I've worn that around.

Diva Cup. High Vitamin cod liver oil in larger than normal quantities as the A in it helps stem some of the blood loss. Alfalfa for the Vitamin K.
#3 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Have you ever been checked for fibroids? Heavy bleeding and pain are symptoms.
#4 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIZBeautiful View Post
Have you ever been checked for fibroids? Heavy bleeding and pain are symptoms.
But I have no pain in my uterus area. It's like RIGHT at the enterance to my vagina and in my butt (sciatic). And I am fine any other time except for the first 3 days of my 7 day period.
#5 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
Yes. I HAVE worn adult diapers lined with pads, and using a tampon to bed. Hell I've worn that around.

Diva Cup. High Vitamin cod liver oil in larger than normal quantities as the A in it helps stem some of the blood loss. Alfalfa for the Vitamin K.
Does a diva cup feel like a tampon though? I've tried tampons and they just feel really really uncomfortable. I have CLO, but haven't taken any because I was giving it to ds. How much should I take and should I only take it during AF?
#6 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Well, I've noticed my periods have gotten much heavier the more children I've had. My 1st ones so far after ds4 have been... Atrocious! I'm bleeding through the diva cup. It's like it just gushes out and the diva cup can't catch it all and it just GUSHES over the side. Literally. The cup is full and I've got a pads worth of blood. Apparently taking motrin every 6 hours on the dot! helps, but it has to be every 6 hours. Seems counter-intuitive since ibuprofen is a blood thinner, but perhaps the anti-inflamatory properties clamp down on the wide open blood vessels.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#7 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM

Well, I would take it regularly to increase the amount of natural Vitamin A in your system generally leading up to your period and then dramatically increase once it has started. Upwards of 40,000 to 100,000 IU per day which will vary the amount of actually cod liver oil you take depending on the brand and type.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...aminasaga.html

The diva cup feels different than a tampon. I find tampons very uncomfy. I even push them out during my period. God I hate that. I empty the cup every 45 minutes to an hour.

The vitamin K in alfalfa will also help with the bleeding. People are even warned to not take it with Warfarin because of it.

The other thing you could try is a natural progesterone/precursor (like wild yam) during the week leading up to your period and the days of your period. To help relax the muscles in there.
#8 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

#9 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Ibuprofen has some progesterone effects. High doses (800 IU) of ibuprofen come sometimes "cure" post-partum or peri-menopausal heavy bleeding.

There are other causes that should be eliminated, though, like thyroid issues or fibroids, as mentioned above.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM

I believe that the Vitamin A and D in Nordic Naturals are added in. They remove the vitamins during processing and then re-add synthetic ones in some of their preparations.

I am not sure about this particular one, and I have used it myself too. I suspect that it isn't re-added because the given range of vitamins is so large (650-1400, 1-20 of vitamin D) that it suggests that they are covering a natural potential range of vitamins in the cod's liver depending on the time of year.

In a tsp of yours there is 650-1500 IU of vitamin A.

To get what you are looking to get at the lower range (40,000 IU of the top of the range 1500 IU), you would be looking at about 8 tablespoons for a few days a month.

A high vitamin cod liver oil would bring that amount down.

Carlson has Vitamin A of 3750 IU. That's 3.5 TBSPs for 40,000
Blue Ice High Vitamin is 5750 IU of Vitamin A. Just under 2.5 TBSPS
Blue Ice Regular is 5000 IU of Vitamin A. Just over 2.5 TBSPS.
#11 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

I had a fibroid. Of course, I was tested for them for about 10 years multiple times before one showed up while I was pregnant. On my cervix.

I challenge the idea that fibroids cause heavy bleeding. I would suggest that what causes fibroids ALSO causes heavy bleeding. That they are both symptoms of soemthing else and that if you have heavy bleeding you may DEVELOP fibroids.
#12 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I challenge the idea that fibroids cause heavy bleeding. I would suggest that what causes fibroids ALSO causes heavy bleeding. That they are both symptoms of soemthings else and that if you have heavy bleeding you may DEVELOP fibroids.
I agree! I also believe what caused heavy bleeding also caused fibroids in me.

I used to go through the exact same thing as OP until I found natural cotton pads. (My grown dd actually uses GladRags and she even made some herself.)

As soon as we got rid of those chemical loaded pads, we noticed a huge difference. I read that they use the same things in them as in diapers, to make the pads more absorbent but they also keep pulling down the blood.

I know just how you feel. And it is miserable.
#13 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
As soon as we got rid of those chemical loaded pads, we noticed a huge difference. I read that they use the same things in them as in diapers, to make the pads more absorbent but they also keep pulling down the blood.
I use cotton pads,but I can't imagine the mechanism to pull down blood. I think that's an urban legend, or something.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#14 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Yea, I probably should have worded it differently. The pads are just super absorbent!
#15 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM

I imagine it isn't pulling the blood down.

That is a big mucous membrane there. It is very susceptible to absorbing chemicals that come into contact with it.

If you are reacting to something in the commercial pads, delivering it to a huge mucous membrane would be an ideal delivery point.

(Now you want conspriacy theory here it is - I cannot for a moment imagine why a producer of commercial pads who makes money on you buying more of their products would EVER put something in their products that would cause you to buy MORE of their products. That sort of unethical behaviour is just unheard of in the commercial products aimed at women sector.)
#16 of 21 Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM

If you want to try homeopathy, cimicifuga (actaea racemosa) is used to relieve painful menses that gets worse as flow increases and for cramping or shooting pains across the legs and thighs that are worse when lying down and at night. It also helps for cramps in the low back and stiffness in the neck that may cause a headache. I'm sorry you're miserable. I hope you feel better soon.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
#17 of 21 Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 AM

((hugs))) to you. I think there are several Chinese herbs for this -- can you afford to see an acupuncturist? They could help with the pain too. The pain almost sounds like vulvodynia, which can be worsened by oxalates (found in many fruits and vegetables). See:
http://www.seekwellness.com/incontin...vic_health.htm
Nordic Naturals vitamin A and D are naturally occuring, according to their website and the rep they had at the health food store. Perhaps they just remove some of it?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#18 of 21 Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccrunchymama View Post
If you want to try homeopathy, cimicifuga (actaea racemosa) is used to relieve painful menses that gets worse as flow increases and for cramping or shooting pains across the legs and thighs that are worse when lying down and at night. It also helps for cramps in the low back and stiffness in the neck that may cause a headache. I'm sorry you're miserable. I hope you feel better soon.
Ooooooooooooooh I forgot I have a homeopathic remedy....but I can't remember what it is. I'll have to go check.
#19 of 21 Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Aromatherapy aid

A drop of Clary sage eo in 2 tbsp oil- works amazingly fast-
you need to apply to lower stomach as thats where it helps the uterus balance hormones- if this is an imbalance? - but I've never known of that heavy a flow.
Its a really great pain reliever, and works almost immediately- but again I've only used it lower stomach and lower back. But am thinking it can work for butt and legs too.
#20 of 21 Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really really really considering buying a diva cup, but has anyone used one after having a tilted uterus? I had a tilted uterus before I had my kids, now I'm not too sure. But I'm afraid of wasting that much money if I can't use it properly.
#21 of 21 Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I believe that I was reading some posts on either here or the yahoo/lj pages for the menstrual cups, and there was a few women who had tilted uteruses who posted they had success.

I think that the "trick" to it for them was that they inserted it tilting the top and moving it in towards the back and their tail bone until they got it at about the point where they thought the top would open out above their pubic bone. Then tilted a bit up and twist to pop it open.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page