acid reflux in a 5 year old? please help me figure this out. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been trying to figure out what's happening with DD (5.5). many suggested celiac, we are in the process of negotiating a blood test with her, she is very sensitive to pain and is very anxious about the test. the symptoms are mind enough for her to be okay with them.

the symptoms:

-often she'd say she is nauseated after eating a few spoons of something--oatmeal, other cereal, pancakes.

-complains about tummy aches, but they don't seem to be severe enough, and i'm not even sure whether they are real aches, or the sensations of digestions, as she is very sensitive to pain and reacts dramatically to minor (to most people) irritations.

-soft stools, but i'm still not entirely convinced that soft stools are a sign of poor digestion. i know that everyone here says they are, but i haven't found anything to support this. if anyone has any info? i grew up being told that soft stools are a sign of good digestion. her stools are formed, but probably the consistency of peanut butter.

-occasional bad breath, but it seems it is correlated more with a runny nose. but i'm not sure on this one yet. today she had some bad breath (for the first time in a couple of months) but she also complained about the vomit sensation AND her nose is runny.

-recently she started telling me that sometimes she feels like she has a bm coming, but nothing comes out. this is not constipation, she never had constipation. no idea what it is.

other than the above, i can't think of anything else.

we don't have access to a regular dr, we see a different one every time. the last one told us that she thought it was acid reflux and suggested we go on tumms for a couple of months, and if there's imrovement, she will presribe an anti-acid.

at that time this didn't make any sense to me. DD never even spit up as an infant! never threw up unless she had a stomach bug, maybe 4 times in her life.

another reason i decided against tumms, is that her symptoms are very vague and she is an overly dramatic, very suggestible person so i have a feeling we won't see clear cut "results" with them. she might continue complaining even if there would be no aches; or she might stop complaining because she'd feel she has to, as she's taking something for the aches/ nausea.

DH does have acid reflux due to some valve being mal-positioned / hernia but he is largely asymptomatic, and doesn't take any meds, and says that if she had reflux, she'd have the burning sensation, which she doesn't have. BUT i have a feeling that this valve thing could be genetic. but the wouldn't she have symtoms as an infant?

anyway, just now as she is falling asleep next to me, she told me that she felt like the taste of vomit was coming up into her mouth. she said it never happend before. is THIS a symptom?

i can't find much on symptoms for older children, only infants.

i hope we can rule out celiac soon, but for now the dr don't think it is celiac based on the symptoms (though i've read enough to know that this doesn't mean a thing).

the bottom line, does this sound like acid reflux? and what can be done about it, other than the anti-acid drugs?

we will be seeing a new dr on wednesday. my own issue is that i don't trust the dr here--they don't seem to be very involved as they know we are likely not to see them again, and are all prescription eager.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It wouldn't hurt to give her the tums (unless she has a problem with corn since they're made of cornstarch), and it'll give her a little extra calcium while you try it. The first celiac test is just taking a vial of blood, so it's not that bad. And you have to have it while you're still eating gluten, so I've heard. But why don't you just take gluten out for 2 weeks and see if it helps? That isn't going to hurt her. And it just might help. good luck.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 4 Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
It wouldn't hurt to give her the tums (unless she has a problem with corn since they're made of cornstarch), and it'll give her a little extra calcium while you try it. The first celiac test is just taking a vial of blood, so it's not that bad. And you have to have it while you're still eating gluten, so I've heard. But why don't you just take gluten out for 2 weeks and see if it helps? That isn't going to hurt her. And it just might help. good luck.
thanks. i will look into tumms.

we are working on the blood test with her.

re taking gluten out--it is not recommended before the test is done. if we take it out, and there's an improvement, we will need to reintroduce to make sure it is celiac vs. gluten sensitivity.

if it is celiac, then it is a very serious condition and she will need to avoid all gluten. if it is a sensitivity, she will be able to eat some, and suffer the consequences, if she chooses so. but it won't be damaging her intestines.

and reintroducing gluten could be very detrimental, in both cases.
#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

any experiences with reflux in older children who had no symptoms as babies?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page