growth/bump on forehead of toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this past summer i noticed a little ridge/bump on my toddler's forehead -- about an inch and a half down from his hairline, over his eye. i waited it out until the end of summer, when we again had insurance, thinking it was a bump from falling/growing. it began about a half inch long, one mm wide. it is now one and a half inches long, and feels like a boney ridge.

his doc really didn't address my concern when i brought him at first, thinking it could be an old fracture from a bump that was growing with his head growing, or something i didn't notice before. so i wait another month, and go back. we went back, bringing my other son who was getting a referral to an ent, so she also just referred my toddler to the ent, too. i was really annoyed -- this doesn't seem like the correct doc for him. and we went. the ent said that he was not alarmed, but if i wanted to persue it, my toddler would need an mri or a cat scan, in which he would be put under general or sedated. he wouldn't give me his medical opinion, but rather, left to "my choice".

so i called back my family doc. at this point, i want a bone doc or neuro-surgeon to look at him, if only to give an opinion at what the heck this could be. i am really growing concerned. it now has been six/seven months.

any one have any experience/input?

thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and his family doc is leaning to the mri, saying that because i have noticed the change, it should be persued. i am concerned about the radiation and the sedative/general though. i really feel like i need an idea of what it could be that it is cause for concern before we go ahead with such an invasive test. he is having no other symptoms. i neither feel comfortable waiting any longer, and watching it grow. it is a pickle.
#3 of 3 Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM

um how old is your toddler, how soundly does he sleep and does he fall asleep in the car. My now almost 2yo had a CT done at 16 months and all I did was schedual it for nap time and I told the ct person that I would bring her in sleeping - but they may have to be flexable. The did have to be flexable, we had to take another car ride but she slept though the whole CT (which on a head takes about 5 min and dosn't make any noise) My DD has had several ct's and xrays on her head and an hour long heart EEG/ Echo and we did all these after I put her to sleep (never needed a sedative or GA. And will have many more to come (she has a Cleft Palatte and other structural cranial facial anomalies)
There are many things that may cause the bump - my son still has a bump where he fell and whacked his head 2 years ago - it has gotten wider and not as tall (if that makes sence) as he has gotten older and at some point I would immagine that I will not even feel it on his forhead.
The ridge may be just that - my DD has a bone cyst between her eyes, It's a lump that changes in size and depth as she grows and the facial plates shift.
Take a deep breath it will be OK, I know how scary it is - there unfortunatly is always the fear of cancer just benieth the surface of your thoughts - I know BTDT. The chances of something being very wrong are small but still enought to scare you. Would you belive that I was relived when they told me that DD had a Cleft Pallate and Structural anomalies, even facing magor corrective surgury, I am still relived that it is not something much worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page