Baby Tylenol - Is it okay?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Fun, I love hearing what others do! I'll add ear infections if I may. My older two never had any and dd had an awful one which *almost* resulted in pain meds. We only have a walmart and a small hfs in the area, so I'd love to hear what to get to have on hand, kwim?
I use onion juice along with chiropractic adjustments. Onion juice is easy, wonderful and takes care of pain immediately.
#32 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firefaery--thx for getting back so quick, I get it now with the teething pain.

Quote:
Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?
Chlobo's question was way better than mine. Any recs? For me, preferably not mostly homeopathic, because it seems like a lot of expertise is needed to make homepathics work, and I don't think I'm going to master that anytime soon. And thanks for letting us pick your brain.
#33 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Faery,

Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?

Also, what do you recommend for an infant with a cough?
you are so not going to like this, but generally an infant with a cough I let cough. It is a very specific action that shouldn't be suppressed. There are things I might do to make it more productive, but not at that age...sorry!

I don't have any great recommendations for books. I have read several that were okay-but nothing that I'd feel great about recommending.
#34 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Firefaery--thx for getting back so quick, I get it now with the teething pain.

Chlobo's question was way better than mine. Any recs? For me, preferably not mostly homeopathic, because it seems like a lot of expertise is needed to make homepathics work, and I don't think I'm going to master that anytime soon. And thanks for letting us pick your brain.
Well, specific to homeopathy the answer is a *bit* different. I like Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicine by Cummings and Ullman quite a bit. Miranda Castro's books are also quite good for lay practitioners. There are others, but for people just getting into it those are probably my top choices. I also think that everyone using homeopathy would benefit from a Materia Medica with Repertory. You can get Boericke's on Amazon for around $16. It helps to deepen the understanding of homeopathy. I first read it maybe 8 years ago and that's how I fell in love.

Okay. I just totally realized that I read your question wrong and that you DON'T want homeopathy Well then, I stand by my previous answer!

Some people love Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, some love How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.
#35 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Okay. I just totally realized that I read your question wrong and that you DON'T want homeopathy Well then, I stand by my previous answer!
Well, see, I've gotten the impression, over time, that getting good results with homeopathy takes some serious studying. I've been sort of winging it for everything I'm doing, and I'm not sure I can get enough expertise in a reasonable amount of time to really help. But I may check out one of the books you mentioned, if for no other reason than because I know diddly-squat about homeopathy and it may be an interesting read, even if I can't figure out how to apply anything usefully.

Quote:
Some people love Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, some love How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.
I've got both, and I go back to both periodically to deepen my knowledge and/or look up specific stuff. I think I have this fantasy that there's a book out there, it's probably in 4 volumes each 6" thick, that has all the answers to everything I want to know, and it explains how everything is interconnected. Since my fantasy book doesn't exist, I keep buying and buying. Thx for the recs.
#36 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think I have this fantasy that there's a book out there, it's probably in 4 volumes each 6" thick, that has all the answers to everything I want to know, and it explains how everything is interconnected. Since my fantasy book doesn't exist, I keep buying and buying. Thx for the recs.
Your fantasy book might well exist...I just think it might look very different from the way you are picturing it....
#37 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 AM

I forgot to mention that this is the first time in over 20 years of raising kids that I have given a mainstream pain medication. Circumstances were such that I had no way to get to a store (returned from hospital at midnight in a tow truck, snowed in if trying to drive the regular car) to buy homeopathics and my supplies are almost nil right now

Ibuprofen was the best that I could do- that or nothing at all. At least I avoided the extra additives in the baby product though, and I did scrape off the outer layer of the tablet.
#38 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I have never given dd any.

I would not personally medicate a fever. I would consider medicating for pain. Though for most pain ibuprofen is more effective than tylenol.

-Angela
This is pretty much what I do. I have given it in the past for a fever at night so that ds could sleep; but only gave one or two doses, not every 4-6 hours for the duration of the illness like my mom used to do My concern at the time was that he was able to sleep and therefore keep his immune system functioning, and the medication allowed him to do that.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#39 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I forgot to mention that this is the first time in over 20 years of raising kids that I have given a mainstream pain medication. Circumstances were such that I had no way to get to a store (returned from hospital at midnight in a tow truck, snowed in if trying to drive the regular car) to buy homeopathics and my supplies are almost nil right now

Ibuprofen was the best that I could do- that or nothing at all. At least I avoided the extra additives in the baby product though, and I did scrape off the outer layer of the tablet.
#40 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
you are so not going to like this, but generally an infant with a cough I let cough. It is a very specific action that shouldn't be suppressed. There are things I might do to make it more productive, but not at that age...sorry!
A couple of weeks ago my DH & I were discussing Delsym (not forthe baby) & how it suppresses the urge to cough. All I culd think was how bad it probably was to suppress your bodies urge to cough up something that's bothering it. So I do agree. I just wish the little guy hadn't gotten sick. He seems in better spirits this morning.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#41 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

That's great news! Sending healing vibes to your little one! And good for you on your instincts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page