Managing a fever "naturally" ASAP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
sniffmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sweet DD has a fever around 101-102 that is coming and going since about 9pm last night. I didn't realize until 2:30 this morning and I began to monitor it. She is sleeping a lot, and comfort nursing (I am preggo, and have no more milk).
I am offering her water, but she hasn't had much since she keeps going to sleep.
Are there other things I can do for her?
oh yeah, she is 2.5
sniffmommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 PM
 
glorified_rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somewhere, I suppose
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you're doing fine. I think fluids are really important. I would even offer something like sprite if she's averse to drinking water. I would really push fluids whenever she is awake. As for the fever, there is really not much to do. I used children's Motrin on a very limited basis when ds had Roseola and a very high fever, but that was really just to make him feel a bit more comfortable. I try to let the fever run its course without intervention because it is really the body's natural response to sickness. I hope she starts feeling better really soon.
glorified_rice is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
 
thixle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you are doing good, too. Hang in there.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
thixle is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
 
SevenVeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lurking in my Lerkim
Posts: 6,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can also put lukewarm to coolish water on her, especially on her torso.
SevenVeils is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
 
sniffmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Her fever has seems to have subsided. (Sometimes it can be so isolating being at home with a sick one, all by oneself!) Thanks for the support.
sniffmommy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 AM
 
Gitti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ready to move on...
Posts: 14,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like she is doing just fine. A fever that goes up and down is the easiest for the body to handle. That's why fevers should not be managed, the child does that all by herself.

A fever is a positive thing. And a fever that waxes and wanes is not a bother to the child. They sleep when the fever is high and get up when the fever is low. Let her take the lead. We cover our kids when they have a fever. It never gets it much higher. And if it does, the body breaks it again soon.

Kids' can have fevers up to 105 and it should not be a worry. It does not stay up there long.

Here are some suggestions for you in case you need them -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2
Gitti is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
sniffmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Here are some suggestions for you in case you need them -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting that!
sniffmommy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
 
nccrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Sounds like she is doing just fine. A fever that goes up and down is the easiest for the body to handle. That's why fevers should not be managed, the child does that all by herself.

A fever is a positive thing. And a fever that waxes and wanes is not a bother to the child. They sleep when the fever is high and get up when the fever is low. Let her take the lead. We cover our kids when they have a fever. It never gets it much higher. And if it does, the body breaks it again soon.

Kids' can have fevers up to 105 and it should not be a worry. It does not stay up there long.

Here are some suggestions for you in case you need them -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2
How did you link to one entry instead of a whole thread??? That's great!

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
nccrunchymama is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
 
Gitti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ready to move on...
Posts: 14,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every post has a number in the right corner. If you click on it, it will take that post out of the thread. You can then keep it or whatever....
Gitti is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
 
nccrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Every post has a number in the right corner. If you click on it, it will take that post out of the thread. You can then keep it or whatever....
Thanks!

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
nccrunchymama is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
 
dannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad your dd is feeling better! I totally second gitti's suggestions!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

dannic is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off