Chicken pox exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the opportunity to expose my son to chicken pox (which I am definately going to do). What I am wondering is what the best ways of possible exposure are. I have heard sharing sippy cups, sharing a lollipop, and taking a bath together. I really don't think I'm okay with asking these parents to let our children bathe together (it is my supervisor's son who has the pox right now). What are the best ways to get pox? Thanks

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM

An aquaintance (an RN) asked if her kid could take a bath with mine and I agreed. It worked. Somehow that didn't squick me out the way sharing a lollipop or sippy cup would have. I'm glad she didn't suggest that.
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Sharing juice boxes with straws, candy (get ring pops, the baby bottle candy where you dip it into sugar and lick, yes I know its horrifying but its just one day), whistles, horns, flutes, balloons, a harmonica... and just playing together. IF the kid doesnt want to share, make a game of it, like who can blow the biggest balloon? Who can guess the flavor of the lollipop? etc.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
An aquaintance (an RN) asked if her kid could take a bath with mine and I agreed. It worked. Somehow that didn't squick me out the way sharing a lollipop or sippy cup would have. I'm glad she didn't suggest that.
You know, now that I think more about it I am pretty sure that they *couldn't* bathe together. This is a foster child that has the pox. . . I guess they could wear a swim diaper though.

And I'm curious why sharing a cup or piece of candy gives you the ick factor. If my child did it all the time (or if it was someone we didn't know) I wouldn't be happy about it. I figure one day won't be a big deal, and we know this child. If you don't want to say though that's fine

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM

we shared soup spoons, lollipops, and sippy cup straws. My dd got the pox 3 weeks later, but not my ds. However, he ended up getting it from dd, so it all worked out in the end!

-R
#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM

My grandson has been exposed twice and never showed symptoms. We think he is immune to it by now. You don't have to get sick to build immunity to any disease.

Our son-in-law never had cp, never even knew anyone who had cp. When he applied to med school, he had to have his titers checked and he was in fact immune to cp.

I've read that most kids are immune to cp by the time they are 12 yo. and most other childhood diseases by age 14.
#7 of 7 Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
And I'm curious why sharing a cup or piece of candy gives you the ick factor. If my child did it all the time (or if it was someone we didn't know) I wouldn't be happy about it. I figure one day won't be a big deal, and we know this child. If you don't want to say though that's fine
Oh, spit has always grossed me out. Back when my kids drooled all the time? Oh, the disgustingness. And, except for *certain* situations - ahem - putting my mouth on someone else's spit or watching my kids do the same? Eeww!
It's entirely personal. I'm sure it's a fine way to transmit the pox.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page