double-blind placebo-controlled studies on Homeopathy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 70 Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
elizaMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rural midwest
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sadystar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
Eliza MM - how much do I love you for reading all that and making sense of it . I had expected that it might come to something like that.
You're too kind. I just googled the titles and pasted the parts of the abstract that were left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
There was an interesting study a few years back that I read in the New Scientist that showed that pretty much everyone´s view of evidence is swayed by their prior views of the phenomena (sorry not to reference, I have looked but couldn´t find)
That's why I'm brain washing my kid like crazy as soon as he learns to understand English... mwahhahahaha....

But yeah, the science of psychology is pretty interesting too. I find myself frequently referring to a news report I heard a couple of months ago. (No reference here either-- I didn't even look; too lazy.) It seems humans are more likely to believe anecdotes than scientific evidence. Hm, whadaya know? Not only does it feel like it, we really are swimming upstream here...:

So non-homeopathic Arnica works wonders, eh? Maybe I could just swallow the whole bottle of homeopathic pills that came with my homebirth kit then?
elizaMM is offline  
#62 of 70 Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
elizaMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rural midwest
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
I think this is a debate worth having here and I am worried about some above expressed concerns that it is considered "offensive", and therefore against MDC rules, to have such a debate - what is this? Crunchy facism?

Sadystar x.
That's exactly what I've been wondering; crunchy fascism...:
elizaMM is offline  
#63 of 70 Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post

Firefairy, which homeopathic treats a gaping bleeding wound? that's what I mean when I talk about it crossing the line from harmless to harmful. A gaping bleeding wound needs an allopathic needle and thread.
Phosphorous stops bleeding and arnica heals trauma. Unless it's a puncture wound and then it'd be ledum. I have never been sown up since I have taken up homeopathy. People paste (honey and glodenseal) and homeopathy are all I've needed. I have had one MAJOR injury as well as a major tear with two births. No stitches and almost no scar. I wouldn't advocate you doing this if you don't know what you are doing. I did.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#64 of 70 Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post


Firstly - Firefaery, you say that double-blind studies can´t be done because it is not a suitable modality, then when someone posts some references you stand by them.....which way is it? Y´know when a politician is down in the polls he says that polls cannot be trusted, when he is 20 points ahead he makes a great deal of it. I would have to look into those studies, but the conclusions posted seem not to be very solid, lots of "possibles" not enough definites.
Make no mistake...I didn't quote the studies and I didn't read them. I don't think they'd be very valuable. I was merely asking if they helped *you* since you seemed like you wanted them. I never wavered. I don't think homeopathy can be studied like that. I've said that time and again.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#65 of 70 Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post

Fourthly - "it´s not doing any harm, leave us alone" has some merit, your body your choice and all that. However, there is a rising number of people who either "vaccinate" themselves of their kids with homeopathic nosodes and believe themselves to be immune - therefore taking no other precautions when confronted with the possibility of a vaccine preventable disease. I know that cases of malaria in the western world are rising because of travellers only using homeopathics when travelling, believing themselves to be safe they get sloppy with other measures. And before the flaming starts, no I´m not pro-vax, I just think that if you´re not gonna vax conventionally, don´t kid yourself that you´re immune. And whilst I´m on the topic, surely homeopathic vax should be provable - either you have antibodies or you don´t? And if they work why aren´t they used for everything, not just currently conventionally vaxed disease? I must admit I´m in the realms of lack of knowledge here - but presumably there is no theroretical reason why homeopathic vaccines for cancer, AIDS etc couldn´t be produced. IMO homeopathic vax is utopian, having your cake and eating it, too good to be true. I wish that the world were like that.

They have, actually. There is a nosode made from cancer...it's called carcinosum. You are also right. There is no such thing as homeopathic vaccinations. Nosodes are NOT vaccines. They are simple remedies made from diseases. They wouldn't even necessarily be the simillimum for *you* should you get that disease. I know one person who takes carcinosum as a constitutional remedy.

No classical homeopath would EVER offer these nosodes as a prophylactic vaccine. That is a naturopath using them incorrectly. It drives me absolutely insane and I've posted this before in the vaccine forum. It's just not how it works. Homeopathy cannot be used prophylactically, period.

My mother has leukemia as I've stated. Her remedy is not homeopathic leukemia, her constitutional is drosera. That is what softened the nodes. You match the symptoms, not the disease. My friend taking the cancer nosode does not have cancer. My son's constitutional is the nosode medhorrinum. It's made from gonorrhea. He doesn't have gonorhhea, however the symptoms he does have are the same as those that are produced by the infection. This is the remedy that has stopped his reactions. By the way, others don't.

We use homeopathy because we don't vaccinate....we do not vaccinate with homeopathy. You do have a lack of knowledge here, but it's totally understandable. There are many people that buy into this very false idea. It is absolutely not valid.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#66 of 70 Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM
 
wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Phosphorous stops bleeding and arnica heals trauma. Unless it's a puncture wound and then it'd be ledum. I have never been sown up since I have taken up homeopathy. People paste (honey and glodenseal) and homeopathy are all I've needed. I have had one MAJOR injury as well as a major tear with two births. No stitches and almost no scar. I wouldn't advocate you doing this if you don't know what you are doing. I did.
How is that supposed to work? I thought they were supposed to be like vs like? Honey is a good antiseptic, and arnica works on bruises. Wouldn't homeopathic versions cause infections and bruising?
wannabe is offline  
#67 of 70 Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The honey isn't homeopathic. It's just honey. Homeopathic arnica is for any muscle or tissue trauma.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#68 of 70 Old 02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
 
momofmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In response to the information on homeopathic studies, it looks like, from this link, that those researchers who looked over those studies somehow arbitrarily excluded many studies. They started out with over 100 of conventional and homeopathic studies, and narrowed it down to less than ten of each, but then would not disclose which ones they used. Huh??? And we want to trust these kind of results? This link below just gives an interesting twist as to what can you really believe??

http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl...andrew.weil.md
momofmine is offline  
#69 of 70 Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
 
CAM Researcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Homeopathy has a valuable place in medicine.  It works --  when the best course of action is to do nothing.  If "imprinting" water was a valid theory, I argue that it is impossible to locate any source of water that has not already been "imprinted" with every substance known and unknown to mankind. 

CAM Researcher is offline  
#70 of 70 Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
 
EineMutti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

German GPs and peds actually prescribe the stuff. There is HUGE money made based on wild speculations, water memory? Seriously, like PP poster said, water doesn't have that sort of memory. 

 

When DS has a fever, I want to use as few strong meds as possible and I have the choice.... a substance that theoretically has "memorised" what to do through a diluting process or cold bandages on the ankles, what will I choose? Hmmmm....

EineMutti is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off