Interstitial Cystitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was recently diagnosed with IC. I have a looong (okay, my whole life) history of bladder problems. My first memory is getting swatted in second grade for going to the bathroom too much. I was catheterized and tested. I was a bedwetter til I was 11ish I think. I've had incontinence problems (not so much incontinence as I couldn't hold it and it would leak out because I had to go so bad). I've been scoped and learned I have a teeny tiny bladder, but that's all they told me at the time. I pee over 20 times a day (at LEAST every hour, sometimes more) I"m sure and I pee about 2 or 3 times during the night. In the past 8 months I've had 9 bladder infections. Finally I got a diagnosis of IC. They put me on Elmiron. They said I won't see results for about 3 months......and told me about the diet changes I need to make.

Anyone here have it? What works for you, what have you done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 AM

I'm sorry you've had to deal with all of that. IC is, from what I can tell, a very mysterious illness.

Look around here:

http://www.ic-network.com/

But when you look at the forums (if you do, it may be better not to) remember that the people most likely to seek solace in the internet are the ones that are the worst off. And become intimately acquainted with the scientific method so that you can avoid being duped by those looking to take advantage of the naive.

I don't have it. My friend does. Best of luck!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 AM

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! I've had IC since I was 14...and it' s just AWFUL!

When I was having frequent "flare-ups" I completely changed my diet. I took EVERYTHING acidic out of my diet, including tomatoes, chocolate, all citrus fruits, coffee, alcohol, you name it.

That seemed to work for awhile.

Now I take an antibiotic after every time DH and I DTD...this seems to help prevent them. When I do have a flare-up...it's exruciating!!

I gotta run...but PM me if you have any specific questions k?

Hugs Mama!!

Mama to DD 4/07 and DS 1/11.  Missing my Zejah Grace (Born sleeping at 39 weeks 6 days) 2/3/10
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you girls!! I need to talk to my doc about a prophylactic antibiotic because I do notice whenever we have a "busy" streak, I get a bladder infection almost immediately. I'm fastidious when it comes to how I handle myself before and after sex but nevertheless, I get an infection. I don't get them mildly.......I get quite ill with them. Nausea, pain...excruciating pain.

I will check out that site and yes, if I run into questions, I will pm!

I've been trying to watch diet. No soda, no caffeine.....I watch acidic foods or if I KNOW I will be eating something, I drink a glass of baking soda water. I LOVE tomatoes so that will be so hard to cut out!! I have eliminated citrus as well, and nitrate riddled foods also.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 AM

See my older thread around here entitled, "IBS, Interstitial Cystitis and Yeast"

I finally saw in print what I've known for several years now... it is related to gut flora: bad bacteria/yeast and improper digestion. Which is why most women with IC present with digestive problems as well.

A recent article in the Weston Price Foundation's Winter 2007 newsletter Wise Traditions was written by Natasha Campbell-McBride, MD on the GAPS - Gut and Psychology Syndrome - describes IC as a result of toxins given off by bacteria and yeast excreted thru the urine. An OAT organic acids urine test will show the metabolites. Great Plains or Metametrix.

And strong smelling urine is a dead give away that this is happening. Campbell-McBride's diet is almost carbon copy of the SCD, Specific Carbohydrate Diet www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

It was correcting my gut flora and digestion that cured my IC.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 AM

Hi JaneS. I wanted to ask you how you're doing with your IC, and if you are still in 'remission' due to the WAPF diet. Thank you!

User Tag List