Dry diaper in the AM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 9 months old and about 3 weeks ago he started waking up with a dry diaper, then within minutes upon awakening he relieves his bladder. I am concerned because he nurses 3-6 times a night, sometimes for comfort, but I know his liquid intake is alot. Help, I already contacted Pediatrician, and would love to hear if anyone else went through this.Warmly, apmummy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Potty him first thing in the morning. This sounds like an opportunity, not a problem.

My 12 month old DD started doing this randomly about 2 weeks ago. Since it started, I sit her on the potty right when she wakes up. She relieves herself there. She's always very proud of herself and it saves a diaper change.

Sure, he's young...but maybe he realized that sleeping in his wet diaper felt icky so he's holding it. LOL
#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM

I don't see a problem.

As for potty training, I wouldn't. Early potty training makes a child nervous and expects too much out of the child. That can lead eventually to bed wetting among other things.

Ok I read how previous poster meant it, just save one diaper - might be alright.
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM

My dd started doing this at 8 months. She was also nursing many times during the night. In the morning when I went, she'd go too.

I took her cue and got a little potty, set it under her in the morning and she immediately peed in it. After that I changed maybe five poopy diapers in total, and few pee diapers.

I agree with Livviesmom, it is an opportunity to respond to your child's cues. I didn't 'potty train' dd, I just listened to her.

Babies are pretty smart, after all. And no, she isn't 'nervous', whatever that means. Presumably most of the babies in India and China and wherever else people choose to listen and respond to babies' cues are not all nervous bed-wetters either.

The real oddity is that in our society we teach little ones to go in their pants and then expect them to unlearn this habit at age two or three when they are much too busy learning other things.
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
My dd started doing this at 8 months. She was also nursing many times during the night. In the morning when I went, she'd go too.

I took her cue and got a little potty, set it under her in the morning and she immediately peed in it. After that I changed maybe five poopy diapers in total, and few pee diapers.

I agree with Livviesmom, it is an opportunity to respond to your child's cues. I didn't 'potty train' dd, I just listened to her.
I agree. Read up on the EC under the diapering forum. We didn't "early potty train", but we respected our daughters desire to not urinate in her clothing right next to her skin.
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM

Yes, see this as an opportunity and not a problem and visit the EC forum!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=227

Take advantage of the "early morning" pee to start cueing your baby, and he may be out of diapers sooner than you think

also see:

http://diaperfreebaby.org/
http://www.bornpottytrained.com/

If the pediatrician calls you back, they are probably going to give you a load of hooey that babies have no control over their bladder and bowels. Complete hogwash.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Not sure what you're asking. It's fine and normal. Dd did much the same thing.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page