Migraine Rant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have migraines. I have had them since I was 15 and I’m starting to loose hope. I get them bad….like 4 day migraines when I think about dying because I will never live pain free. I normally get 3 or 4 a month and I’m pretty sure it’s hormone related. I have PCOS so not sure if that has do to with it. I do know some other triggers are bright lights and not eating for a while. During my pregnancy, I was doing really well with hardly any migraines after the 1st trimester.

So here is the problem. For about 2 years now I’ve been trying to clean up my life and live more natural. I seriously thought that if I rid my body of junk….my migraines would go away. I stopped the pill, went off all my migraine medication, started eating healthier (I have a long way to go on this one), etc. I have tried every natural trick under the sun for migraines including acupuncture, herbs, chiropractor, massage, cold packs, hot packs, warm showers, lotions, EO’s, those cold sticky things on my head, smelling horseradish, pressure points, reflexology, NTI (for jaw clenching), no caffeine, lots of caffeine, chocolate, no chocolate, and probably many more that I just can’t remember. Nothing works.

I keep reading that exercise really helps migraines but I can not work out which I know sounds silly but it’s like as soon as my bp goes up, a migraine hits. I talked to my neurologist about this and he said to eat before and after. That doesn’t help. The most I can do is walk or swim but basically anything else is out.

I know the one thing I haven’t done is an elimination diet which I just can’t see myself doing while nursing. Maybe that is my only option.

This weekend I had a 3 day migraine. I couldn’t take it anymore so after 3 days I broke down and took my last migraine pill that was prescribed by the neurologist. It’s not even proven safe for nursing moms. I have extreme guilt that I even took it but within 2 hours I felt great. Migraine was gone.

How do I keep living like this? If nothing natural works then how do I live naturally? I feel like such a fraud when it comes to my migraines. I am so happy about my natural ways then I turn to drugs with my migraines.

I would love love love for a natural remedy to work. Every time I’m sitting in some waiting room for my different treatments I hear someone say “oh so and so had migraines for 20 years and came here twice and never had another one. Why can’t that be me?

I guess I’m just having a pity party but I really want to get better and don’t know how.
#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I too suffer hormonal migraines, although I haven't had for a very long time (mine usually stay at bay while bf'ing until af comes back, and she's not back yet). I haven't found anything natural that works for mine either. Fioricet and imitrix work for mine, that's about it, and that's about as far away from natural as you can get! I don't beat myself up over it though. I do the best I can to live naturally, but I can't be non-functional for 3 days at a time ya know? I'll keep looking for alternatives and trying natural remedies; in the meantime the imitrix/fioricet will have to do.
#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM

hugs, mama -- migraines are so miserable!

what has been truly amazing for me has been magnesium and ginger. I wrote about it a few months back here.

also, make sure you're getting plenty of EFAs, especially omega 3s.

good luck, hope you kick them soon!
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Ow, you poor thing! I suffer from hormonal migraines also.. What I found helps as a preventative measure for me is the mini pill (which is not very handy when we're trying to conceive ). As treatment, sometimes I get by with ibuprofen + caffeine, sometimes there's only Imigran (Imitrex) that helps.

But why do you feel like a fraud? Sometimes you just need medication, even non-natural medication. There's no shame in that.
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM

I had the migraines you were describing for years. Then one day I put 2 and 2 together, and realized they happened after I ate peanuts. I was tested for allergies to peanut (the skin test, wihch is not very reliable for food) which came back negative. However, mold came up as an allergy. I knew peanuts were a "trigger" for me, and also walnuts. Years later I read that peanuts and some other nuts have a horrible problem with mold. I think that's why I'm allergic to peanuts and why it causes a migraine, for me.

I still get migraines if I smell perfume, bright lights, etc, but it's not the same kind with auras and 3 days of throwing up from the pain.

Good luck, mama. Finding out my trigger has been freeing for me.
#6 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
what has been truly amazing for me has been magnesium and ginger
That is interesting. I have tried taking magnesium but it was a low dose (200mg a day I think) and I’ve never tried ginger. I think I might give that a whirl and see how it goes. So you take 200mg of mag. Glycinate daily. How much do you take when you feel a migraine coming on? Do you take the ginger straight or stir it into some water? Have you done this while nursing?

Quote:
What I found helps as a preventative measure for me is the mini pill (which is not very handy when we're trying to conceive). As treatment, sometimes I get by with ibuprofen + caffeine, sometimes there's only Imigran (Imitrex) that helps.

But why do you feel like a fraud? Sometimes you just need medication, even non-natural medication. There's no shame in that.
I have been on many different pills and it doesn’t affect the migraines much. My doc had told me to take them straight through for 3 months then take the sugar pills for a week to help with the menstrual migraines but it really didn’t help. I feel like a fraud because when people talk to me about parenting/lifestyle choices I am always saying how natural we are. I wouldn’t give my son oraljel for teething but I take drugs for pain. Plus I hear comments from my chiro all the time like “if your body is in balance naturally then you shouldn’t suffer from migraines” and I feel like a fraud because I don’t tell her that I take Tylenol and sometimes even migraine medication. I don’t know….

Quote:
I had the migraines you were describing for years. Then one day I put 2 and 2 together, and realized they happened after I ate peanuts.
I am so glad you found a connection. I have tried keeping a journal to see if there is any connection to food but so far nothing comes up. I read it’s really hard to make that connection because the certain food won’t always trigger a migraine. I am starting to suspect cheese as a trigger for me. I should eliminate that and see if it helps.

Thank you so much for the comments. I feel better just knowing that others have btdt and know what it’s like. I see some of you take Imitrex. Is that safe with nursing? I take Relpax because it seems to work the best but it's not approved for nursing moms. I have been on Imitrex, Maxalt and one other I can’t remember.

I’ve also been thinking about getting an allergy test done. Has anyone had this done and do you remember how much it was? I have a $3000 deductible
#7 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm one who has taken Imitrix. It is approved by the AAP for use in bf'ing moms, it's category L3 (moderately safe). I also had an allergy test done, but I didn't pay for it as it was covered. Mine didn't turn up any specific allergies (they were ALL negative) but my IgEs were extremely elevated which means I'm definitely allergic to *something*. I just don't know what.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page