Vitamin D recommendations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a great article from the Canadian Paediatric Society - maybe some of you have seen it?

Vitamin D supplementation: Recommendations for Canadian mothers and infants

Some really important points:
  • healthy adults, including pregnant women, can tolerate up to 10,000 IU per day of vitamin D3 with no toxicity
  • pregnant mothers are especially at risk for Vitamin D deficiency in the third trimester when the fetus' skeleton is forming
  • pregnant women may need as much as 4000 IU/day of Vitamin D
  • lactating mothers who receive 4000 IU/day of Vitamin D have enough Vitamin D in the breastmilk to eliminate the need for infant supplementation
  • for toddlers and young children, 2.5 micrograms/kg/day of Vitamin D may be optimal - that works out to
    Vitamin D in IU = your child's weight in lbs x 45
    so my 35 lb ds needs 1575 IU of Vitamin D from all sources and my 22 lb dd needs 1000 IU from all sources
    (remember to be aware of sun exposure and Vitamin D from breastmilk and diet when determining rates of supplementation

Please do your own research and consult your health care professional if appropriate. I am just sharing my own research with the hope that it might be helpful for someone.

edited to add:

Those who are taking Vitamin D from cod liver oil sources will want to limit their intake of Vitamin A to the following:

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#2 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 02:59 AM
 
tiffani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but is this natural or synthetic vitamin D? since natural is so much more bioavailable, do they need less?

we may get through our bottle yet!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

tiffani is offline  
#3 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
but is this natural or synthetic vitamin D? since natural is so much more bioavailable, do they need less?
Good point tiffani. I would guess that the studies used synthetic vitamin D so it's possible that naturally sourced vitamin D would be better absorbed. On the other hand, the toxicity limits for Vitamin D are so high (10,000 IU for adults) that it seems like the risk of taking too much is mostly related to cost (in the winter when we don't get any from the sun here in the northern latitudes).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#4 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 04:38 AM
 
Momalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I found a great article from the Canadian Paediatric Society - maybe some of you have seen it?

Vitamin D supplementation: Recommendations for Canadian mothers and infants

Some really important points:
  • healthy adults, including pregnant women, can tolerate up to 10,000 IU per day of vitamin D3 with no toxicity
  • pregnant mothers are especially at risk for Vitamin D deficiency in the third trimester when the fetus' skeleton is forming
  • pregnant women may need as much as 4000 IU/day of Vitamin D
  • lactating mothers who receive 4000 IU/day of Vitamin D have enough Vitamin D in the breastmilk to eliminate the need for infant supplementation
  • for toddlers and young children, 2.5 micrograms/kg/day of Vitamin D may be optimal - that works out to
    Vitamin D in IU = your child's weight in lbs x 45
    so my 35 lb ds needs 1575 IU of Vitamin D from all sources and my 22 lb dd needs 1000 IU from all sources
    (remember to be aware of sun exposure and Vitamin D from breastmilk and diet when determining rates of supplementation

Please do your own research and consult your health care professional if appropriate. I am just sharing my own research with the hope that it might be helpful for someone.
Thanks for posting this research. About a year ago I tested way below normal for Vit D and have been supplementing with 4,000 IU + day (Carlson's soft gels) and my numbers are low normal now.
Last month our pediatrican said she now recommends Vit D supplements for all her patients (we live in Washington) at 400 IU a day. In talking to a friend her naturopath suggested all children take 1,000 IU supplementation a day. So I've been wondering how to determine how much to give the kids. Thanks for more input!
Momalea is offline  
#5 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Piglet68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I desperately need help regarding how to administer vit D to children who are very selective eaters and absolutely will NOT take a pill.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Piglet68 is offline  
#6 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Village Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 3,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those pills are the sublingual type... at least the ones I have. They are so itty bitty and melt instantly in your mouth almost like a homeopathic tablet. Much easier than pills. Or youcould try good ol cod liver oil!

:
Village Mama is online now  
#7 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
 
tinuviel_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take a vitamin D3 supplement that is suspended in an oil-water eulsification. Two drops is 4000 IU. I take two drops and give my daughter one.

Supplementing with vitamin D has been the best thing I've done this year. It is completely impossible for me to get enough from the sun for most of the year (go Northern Latitudes ). I was very deficient before my doctor prescribed me my vitamin D3, and my immune system was in the toilet. I've seen a huge improvement.
tinuviel_k is online now  
#8 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
 
1babysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad to read this. We just started giving my toddler a vitamin D supplement (we're in the NW). I just got her the 400 IU vit. D gummies from the health food store to go with teh CLO that I got (because the CLO only has a tiny amt of vit. D...and I didn't realize there were far better options than the brand I got!). We rarely get outside in the cold winter and since moving to this apartment about 5 months ago we've been sicker than ever (not to mention the lack of windows here, too!), so I figured I'd give vit. D a shot. Also we're having some trouble with her teeth so I wanted it for that, too.

(she's still nursing but I've only got small amounts of colostrum right now...and I need a supplement of vit D myself, anyway!)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif


Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

 

1babysmom is offline  
#9 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
I desperately need help regarding how to administer vit D to children who are very selective eaters and absolutely will NOT take a pill.
Did I mention the SISU brand of Vitamin D tablet? You can get that brand at health food stores that have a good selection of supplements. It's synthetic, but IMO better than nothing. It's a really tiny pill that melts in the mouth. Ds usually refuses any kind of pill but he actually liked those. They are tasteless and not super-expensive. I definitely think it's worth a try. And you could definitely grind it up and put it in juice (sorry, I can't remember if your kids drink juice or not).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#10 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM
 
Piglet68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks Ksenia and Village Mama. DD might be convinced to try it. It's worth a shot, anyways.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Piglet68 is offline  
#11 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
 
newcastlemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Supplementing with vitamin D has been the best thing I've done this year. It is completely impossible for me to get enough from the sun for most of the year (go Northern Latitudes ). I was very deficient before my doctor prescribed me my vitamin D3, and my immune system was in the toilet. I've seen a huge improvement.
I have had a major improvement on D also. I was very defiencient when I was tested about 3 months ago. I take about 5,300 iu a day between Blue Ice cod liver oil and Carlson D3 softgels. I may take a little more after I have my baby.

I give my 3 yo 1/2-1t of cod liver oil a day which provides about 500-1000 iu of D/day. He gets a treat of about 1/2 c of juice if he takes it.

I am going to back off the sunscreen and spend more time in the sun this summer to boost my levels too.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

newcastlemama is offline  
#12 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
 
Momalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
I desperately need help regarding how to administer vit D to children who are very selective eaters and absolutely will NOT take a pill.

The D3 I give to my kids come in drops that are pretty much tasteless. I just put a couple of drops in their yogurt, applesauce, smoothy, whatever and mix it in and they have no idea they're eating it. Currently we're using: Biotics Research Corporation Bio-D-Mulsion which is Vit D in a base of water, acacia emulsifier base and sesame oil. My friend uses one in a base of olive oil.
Momalea is offline  
#13 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
 
FrannieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got this this morning and thought I'd post it here in case it may be useful. I haven't had a chance to read it yet though.

The Healing Power of Sunlight & Vitamin D pdf book
FrannieP is offline  
#14 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
 
mimi!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Did I mention the SISU brand of Vitamin D tablet? You can get that brand at health food stores that have a good selection of supplements. It's synthetic, but IMO better than nothing. It's a really tiny pill that melts in the mouth. Ds usually refuses any kind of pill but he actually liked those. They are tasteless and not super-expensive. I definitely think it's worth a try. And you could definitely grind it up and put it in juice (sorry, I can't remember if your kids drink juice or not).
I was told at Choices that its from Lanolin. May as well suck on wool!

Could you just prick a vit D cap. from fish oil, like Carlson's, and put it on food or something?

You know, the other day in the Dr. Mercola enewsletter, he was saying D was linked to cancer according to a Australian research. I'll post the link if I can find it, but I seem to have lost it for now. . .

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
mimi! is offline  
#15 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
 
1babysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi! View Post
Could you just prick a vit D cap. from fish oil, like Carlson's, and put it on food or something?
I was wondering if there was a way to use the gel caps somehow, too.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif


Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

 

1babysmom is offline  
#16 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please see edits to my first post.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#17 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
 
widemouthedfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So at the moment, dd is having 1 CLO capsule from Natural factors, which contains 200 IU of Vitamin D and 2500 IU of Vitamin A. I'm still a bit leery of the Vitamin A levels, but I'm trying to decide if I should give her one more capsule in the winter time. That would be 400 IU supplemented, but 5000 IU Vitamin A.

Thoughts?

I'm only taking 600 IU at the moment, but I am also not nursing dd all that much. Again, I get all worried about Vitamin A levels if I take more.

Those who are taking more vitamin D, are you taking it from sources with no Vitamin A involved?

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

widemouthedfrog is offline  
#18 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, we are taking Vitamin D from cod liver oil (Natural Factors brand). For my dd who is supposed to get 1000 IU of Vitamin D, it seems like this should take the form of:
  • 400 IU vit D + 5000 IU vit A (two capsules of Natural Factors Cod Liver Oil)
  • an additional 600 IU of vit D from a natural source that does not contain vit A

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#19 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
That would be 400 IU supplemented, but 5000 IU Vitamin A.
According to these people, that would be exactly right. According to the Canadian Pediatric Society, if I am understanding them correctly you would want to add some additional Vitamin D on top of that (but not more Vitamin A).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#20 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
I'm only taking 600 IU at the moment, but I am also not nursing dd all that much. Again, I get all worried about Vitamin A levels if I take more.
You would be fine taking 4 capsules = 800 IU vit D (within range suggested by CPS site for non-lactating adults) + 10,000 IU vit A (within range suggested by WAP site).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#21 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
 
leila1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't WAP say that you need more Vit A if you are getting a lot of Vit D (like in the summer), because Vit D intake increases demand for Vit A?

***
leila1213 is offline  
#22 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Doesn't WAP say that you need more Vit A if you are getting a lot of Vit D (like in the summer), because Vit D intake increases demand for Vit A?
Yes, but the WAP site is also warning against excessive Vitamin A :

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

flowmom is offline  
#23 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
 
widemouthedfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Ksenia. I was supplementing with the goal that our Vitamin A levels be well within the acceptable Vitamin A range.

Now, to look into mushrooms. I knew that there was a reason I wanted to get one of those u-grow mushroom logs!

BTW, Piglet, dd takes the big capsule of CLO and pops it in her mouth, drinking out the inside! :Puke

She seems to like it.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

widemouthedfrog is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off