CP non-vaxers: any luck finding CP? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: In the search for CP natural immunity for DC...
Exposed, showed CP symptoms 15 30.00%
Exposed, no symptoms 3 6.00%
Haven't found a case yet 21 42.00%
Haven't tried to expose yet 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how easy it is to find a good case of CP. If your dc did get CP... did it come from a vax shed or from a wild case?

: 10/06 : 10/09
#2 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM

We just had some floating around my area that were posted about in our FYT area. Lots of kiddso got them, but I wasn't quite ready to expose DS yet. I think it was a natural strain.
#3 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM

It went around our school system (of course all the kids were vaxed and came down with it anyway) - my son wasn't vaxed and caught it as well.
#4 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I haven't managed to find a case yet, : I'v been trying a while. I started looking when DD1 was a toddler, took two years off between a pg and a sick DD2, now I really want to find it. I heard of some a couple years ago, but that was right when I got pg, and haven't found any since.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM

My girls were exposed 21 times to CP and finally got it... 22nd time they were exposed - except it was the one time I didn't purposely expose them & I have no idea where they got it!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#6 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM

No luck here. My sis told me of a party but ds was too young for me and haven't found any since.

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#7 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
My girls were exposed 21 times to CP and finally got it... 22nd time they were exposed - except it was the one time I didn't purposely expose them & I have no idea where they got it!
Whoa! First, how did you find so many cases? And second, those are super-power immune systems!

#8 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM

I haven't tried yet, but will when ds (10 months) is older.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#9 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 PM

DS was exposed twice to wild CP, and caught it the second time around. We had 19 children over to play, and since then almost all have come down with CP (several of those cases were siblings, where one child caught it from DS, and then subsequently passed it on to their sibling who did not catch it from DS, even though exposed). I'd say that about 60% of the children who were exposed to DS during the contagious period caught CP.
#10 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM

Dd was exposed to CP twice in the last year. This last time, it took (although she had only about 15 pox total), and it has travelled pretty quickly (about 6 weeks?) through most of the kids in our local playgroup that were exposed. I suspect it was wild, but have no real way of knowing

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#11 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 PM

I haven't started looking yet, so not sure.
#12 of 26 Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
I was wondering how easy it is to find a good case of CP. If your dc did get CP... did it come from a vax shed or from a wild case?
I never purposely exposed my older 2. They got it from a kid in their music class. She was vaxed and had pox everywhere, poor kid. My kids had may 20 spots each.
Youngest, now 6.5 still has not gotten it. I am now trying to expose him. I'm in Boulder if anyone knows of a pox party!
:
#13 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 AM

DD was exposed at a pox party, and she got CP. The girl she caught it from got it from her dad who had shingles. DD, though, had so few spots and they were so mild that I thought it might have been bug bites from a camping trip just before and we weren't able to spread the CP-love to others. We confirmed her immunity with a titer check later though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#14 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM

I believe the cp vax is one of the most unnecessary, and delayed it for a couple of years after my kids started school. I finally got it for the kids after feeling pressured by regular calls from the school.

Within a year, we got a notice that someone in my dd's class had chicken pox and had been sent home. I was so upset I hadn't waited longer - I would have been asking the teacher and school nurse for contact information so we could be exposed. Not sure it would have worked, though, since they just tell horror stories of deaths related to chicken pox - as if we don't all remember having "parties" ourselves as children. :
#15 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It was going around in dd1's school last year and both the girls got it. There were vaxed cases and non-vaxed, too. I don't know if it was wild, but I think so. They got good classic cases of it, but it didn't bother them too much.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#16 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM

I couldn't answer your poll, since we just attended a pox party last weekend. So, my DS was exposed, but I don't know if he will get cp yet or not. I'm betting he will, since he was exposed to the sick kids 3 times over the course of 5 days (and shared a sucker).
#17 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's the difference between "wild" and regular?

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#18 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm thinking I'm never going to find CP or Measles unfortunately :-(

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#19 of 26 Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM

If you are looking for cp in the southeast, there is a connection thread in the FL, GA, AL tribe. I'll be exposing my 3 next week if all goes well!
#20 of 26 Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
What's the difference between "wild" and regular?
Wild would be regular I guess. Non-wild would be if a kid caught it from someone who had just been vaccinated.

#21 of 26 Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
Wild would be regular I guess. Non-wild would be if a kid caught it from someone who had just been vaccinated.
True, but that only applies to "live" vaccines. As far as I know, the only live vaccine still on the market is smallpox. People have contracted smallpox from the vaccine as well as from people who were recently vaccinated, but it isn't possible to catch a disease from any of the usual vaccines given to children.
#22 of 26 Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM

We exposed DS a two and a half weeks ago. No signs yet, but according to everything I've found we have until Saturday until we are sure if he will get it or not. I sure hope he does, because we've been looking for more than a year and only found one other case. This time the child who had the CP had been vaxed against it.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#23 of 26 Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM

DH wants to wait until DS is at least 2 years old to expose him. DS is 15 months old and we have had two opportunities so far. Hopefully someone we know will get chicken pox in a few months so we can get it over with!
#24 of 26 Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post
True, but that only applies to "live" vaccines. As far as I know, the only live vaccine still on the market is smallpox. People have contracted smallpox from the vaccine as well as from people who were recently vaccinated, but it isn't possible to catch a disease from any of the usual vaccines given to children.
I think MMR and chicken pox are both live vaccines. Thus it should be theoretically possible to catch one of those diseases from a recently vaccinated child. I don't think there are any medically confirmed cases of that happening, but they don't really look for it, either. I don't see any reason that it couldn't happen.

Tuberculosis and oral polio (OPV) are also live vaccines. (That's why they switched to IPV - people WERE known to catch polio from that vaccine, just like the smallpox one.)
#25 of 26 Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Rotavirus is also a live vaccine.

#26 of 26 Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 AM

I didn't answer the poll, but ds was exposed a few years ago and had no symptoms...had the chance to expose ds and dd a yr later, but would have put them getting the pox literally on Christmas day, so didn't. Am in search of pox in 6-12 mos from now when 8 mo old is slightly older and before I have another. Seriously, I would travel a few hrs the get it!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page