Can't shake this cold (bronchitis?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone been both coughing up and blowing colored mucus for a week and still gotten over it naturally? My DH keeps urging me to get some abx but I don't have a fever and keep plugging along hoping I'll be better the next day. I saw a naturopath Monday who said my lungs were clear and to keep the natural methods up -but she said if I'm still coughing up the chunky stuff by Friday that I should think about abx. That's tomorrow, and I've gotten this far without them... anybody gone this long with similar symptoms and made it through (and after how long!?)?
#2 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM

If it's a virus caused bronchitis ABX will do nothing. Bronchitis is and inflamation of the broncheal tubes. When they are inflamed then they are hard to clear because they are narrowed. You need to get the junk out but can't - they might give you abx to prevent a bacterial infection from setting into the stuff in your lungs but to get it out before that would be better.
If you do go to the doctor ask if they would let you try a ventolin(albuteral) inhaler this drug opens the airways and allows you to caugh the gunk up easier. This is the same type of inhaler that asthmaics use as a rescue inhaler and the same drug they use for in hospital breathing treatments. I would give this a try for a few days before abx. I'm prone to brochitis and get at least a time or two a year and the inhalor is all I use - plus lots of SA and other natural treatments
#3 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM

I just started using a neti pot and it's working great. It uses water to clear out your sinuses, so even though it won't cure your cold or bronchitis, it will keep the gunk from festering in your sinuses and possibly getting infected. If you do a search for neti pot on youtube you can see a demonstration.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page