She bit a hole through her tongue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My poor baby just slipped at the window sill and bit a hole THROUGH her tongue You can see the nasty cut on the top and bottom of her tongue. It quit bleeding after just a minute or so, but she's definitely hurting. Every few minutes she lets out a little cry Its breaking my heart! Is there anything I can do for it? Since it goes all the way through, is there anything I need t o do in particular to prevent infection? Anywhere else, I'd dab a little dilluted tto on it, but I dont think I want to subject her to the taste.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds did this a few mo ago. The bleeding is definitely scary. Basically, as long as it doesn't keep gushing blood there's not a lot a dr. could do. Will she eat a popsicle? The cold may help w/ swelling and pain. I basically just tried to give ds liquids and soft foods the first day - he did ok w/ plain yogurt and scrambled eggs. It hurt him to drink from a sippy or bottle so I put water in a cup w/ a medicine dropper and playing w/ it distracted him from the pain plus he could let the water drip into his mouth. I tried to keep his hands clean and keep them out of his mouth as much as possible. He was pretty much fine the next day. Tongues heal pretty quickly but it is heartbreaking to see your LO in pain.
#3 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

well glad to know it heals quick! I tried to get her to suck on an ice cube wrapped in a wash cloth but she wasn't having it. She just fell asleep on me. Hopefully she'll be a little more bushy tailed when she wakes

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh wow that's terrible. You must feel so awful for her, poor baby. She's the same age as my LOs, and I can't imagine something like that.

I once bit the end of my tongue clean off, when it was numb from dental work. It grew back, just fine, and quickly, too. I think it was only a few days before it was as good as new. So I'm sure she'll be okay.

Are you nursing her? I would bet that expressed milk from an open cup would be comfortable for her to sip, if nursing hurts too much, and breastmilk has naturally anti-infective properties that should help with infection. You could just hold the cup for her and let her take little sips.

And breastmilk ice cubes might be fun.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My teeth went through my bottom lip when I was a baby - mom said that I cried but healed very quickly! If she is still in pain try filling one of those mesh feeders with anything frozen - ice cubes, frozen grapes, a broken up popsicle, frozen juice cubes, whatever she likes that will make her feel better!
#6 of 6 Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

ooh.. forgot about those mesh feeders. I think I'll make her a boobcicle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page