Anyone ever chart just to track things, not to get pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of doing this with my 14 yo dd to get a handle on her cycles - anyone ever do this? We have this book

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9...vvy/index.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM

Well, I'm charting just to track things right now, but I'm eventually planning to use it to avoid and/or to get pregnant...
#3 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM

i do and i think it would be so great to teach your 14yo! i wish someone would have taught me how to track my cycle when i was young...

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#4 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM

That´s a great idea - though I´d be sure to emphasise that it wasn´t reliable contraception. Can you get her a moon calender too?
#5 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM

I sort of do right now - I take my temperature around ovulation time to pinpoint when it occurs so I know approx. when to expect my period (my cycles can vary), and then I start taking it again a few days before it is due so when I get the temperature drop I am prepared that day!
#6 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's a great idea. I figured out that my health problems were more systemic than I had realized by charting--hormones clearly out of whack, luteal phase off, stuff like that. And as I do stuff to get better (working with a HCP for that, since it's a bit involved), I can see slow improvement as I chart each month. I think learning to see what's normal for your own body when you're young is a great thing. And it's also a good step in internalizing that doctors aren't there to cure all our ills--they're a resource, but nobody is more of an expert in our own health than we are. I'm planning to use TCOYF (or whatever the most recent edition/version is in a decade) with my kids so that they learn everything that it took me until almost age 30 to figure out.
#7 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 PM

I definitely agree! How awesome that you are doing that. I also wish my mother had helped me to learn more about my body and to be in tune with my body's cycles and rhythms. I odn't know about that book, but that author is great, I have Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and I am starting to track my cycles, but not to get pregnant, just to be more aware of my body. Go for it!
#8 of 12 Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 AM

There are actually a large groups of us that chart to avoid pregnancy (over int he family planning forum), if you have any questions or anything.

I like cycle savvy because it answers a lot of common questions girls/women have about their cycle, with out being really "data heavy" like TCOYF is.
#9 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM

I charted to prepare to TTC. I was getting ready for pregnancy but I learned so much about my body that I will be going back to charting when my period returns after this baby! It was such a great tool for knowing how I was doing. I have PCOS so my cycles are a pretty good indicator of how well my regimen is controlling my hormones, etc.
#10 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM

I don't bother with charting or temperature personally, but I do always keep track of my cycles just by paying attention to my body's signals. I think it's knowledge that every woman should have about how her body work, and it's a wonderful gift you're giving to your daughter!
#11 of 12 Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
There are actually a large groups of us that chart to avoid pregnancy (over int he family planning forum), if you have any questions or anything.is.
Good to know - I've never been in that forum. Thanks!
#12 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 AM

I practiced charting before I was married to prepare.

I think charting to track things would help your daughter get more in tune with her body and give her a better understanding of herself and her cycle.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page