3 wk cold in infant? raspy breathing sound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, three weeks ago the two boys caught colds and then I did. Started to get better the end of the week/start of second week. The baby though is sounding raspy yet and now we are in our third week. Part of me wants to take him to the dr, but part of me doesn't because I'm sure they'll throw anitbiotics at me and try to push some vax's. Any advice? He has an occasional cough like when he wakes up from a nap, and is entirely bf. I had started to give him some banana to play with the other day, but since he's a little raspy thought I'd hold off. I'm just a bit afraid this is something worse than or lead to something worse than a cold. Can colds last this long?
#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Sounds like phlegm. If you are concerned go to the docs, if you don't like the advice simply ignore it. I know I do! I don't see the relevance of vaxing for a cold!

My first aid kit for colds and the like is child echinacea (Herbs for Kids/Eclectic kids) or if you are nursing you can dose yourself. Eucalyptus oil in the bath (one drop) plus one drop of lavender. I put these in right at the beginning and get everything nice and steamy. The steam will help loosen things off. Lots of time in warm baths with steam is also calming for you and baby. I also pop a drop in a purifier or burner prior to bed. A water spray with a few drops of tea tree or eucalyptus sprayed around the house can freshen up, adding the same to laundry can help to kill germs and make things feel less 'sickly'.

I would also recommend that you are taking florodix. You can get children's florodix for your older kids and pass on the goodness to your nursing baby. Just helps get things moving again.

To me colds that linger are a sign of everyone being a bit rundown, pretty normal at this time of year. If you can drink nettle tea it will help your system to bounce back, it is full of nutrients and really good when you are feeling low. Peppermint with a bit of sage (if you aren't pregnant or wanting to be) is a great decongestant.

HTH's. Let us know how you are getting on.
#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My toddler and I are actually fine, it's the baby-guess my wording could be mistaken we are all still with cold. It's not all day with him either. It's mainly when he wakes up, then after he nurses. So I'm guessing it's the laying down that's clogging him up.
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM

i found that putting a few drops of Olbas oil for children on a clean cloth tied to the the cot (or your own bed headboard if you co-sleep) is great for clearing blocked noses/sinuses.
Also if you rub a little vicks on your chest then the baby gets the fumes whilst feeding and this can soothe phlemmy throats.
If you feel like the cough is a result of the cold that is still lingering then i wouls suggest taking some black elderberry supplement, something like sambucol. The antioxidants in this would get through to your baby from your milk and raise his immune system helping him to fight off any of the cold bugs he has.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page