Baby arches her back a lot...what is that? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She's 8 mo but she's done it since she was born. She arches her back a lot. By a lot I mean she doesn't like to be cradle held at all (never has). She is EBF. She is happy sitting up, mostly but even then will arch her back a lot. She seems to want to be held in a standing position. It's also hard to hold her on my shoulder (kwim?). She'll arch then too. She does this stiffly and I can pick her up from laying flat almost like a board. She is otherwise flexible. if she's not arching she is loose and flexible in all her joint and movements. (I thought of CP first but I don't think that's it.)
Is it a back problem? A gut issue? Muscles? Help me out...what should I be looking for?
#2 of 18 Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Back arching is a symptom of infant reflux. Does she do it when you feed her?
#3 of 18 Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

It's not really associated with feeding. I thought of that too. no she does it all the time. Since she was born she WILL NOT let anyone hold her in a cradle hold. I'm taking her to a baby chiropractor Monday. What do you think?
#4 of 18 Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM

DS (9 months) arches his back a lot too. I keep wondering about reflux but it's not when he's eating. I've noticed lately his personality is really emerging...or rather his independence and he arches his back to protest at something he's not happy about (being put in carseat, resisting going to sleep, not wanting to be put down, etc.) He also does it a lot in bed when he doesn't want to sleep...that's when I wonder about reflux but it could just be protesting. He has always been a stiff baby...he will stand up from lying down when he grabs my fingers without bending. Does your babe seem upset when she arches?

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#5 of 18 Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 AM

My first child has sensory issues, so I know I sometimes jump to that as a possibility but it does seem like it could be something to consider.
#6 of 18 Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM

DD is nine months old and refuses to be cradle-held too. She arches her back instantly. I don't associate it with reflux, I figure she just hates the position and is protesting. With her, it's not a chiropractic issue, she just associates it with nap time and flat-out detests it. She prefers to fall asleep on the boob. If you're really concerned, I would get a referral to a chiropractor especially since she's been doing it since birth as you say (with DD, it's quite a recent thing - maybe starting up a month or so ago). Good luck!
#7 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousTreasures View Post
She's 8 mo but she's done it since she was born. She arches her back a lot. By a lot I mean she doesn't like to be cradle held at all (never has). She is EBF. She is happy sitting up, mostly but even then will arch her back a lot. She seems to want to be held in a standing position. It's also hard to hold her on my shoulder (kwim?). She'll arch then too. She does this stiffly and I can pick her up from laying flat almost like a board. She is otherwise flexible. if she's not arching she is loose and flexible in all her joint and movements. (I thought of CP first but I don't think that's it.)
Is it a back problem? A gut issue? Muscles? Help me out...what should I be looking for?
Hi There. I was wondering if you had any more information regarding your baby's back arching. I have a 4 1/2 month old who is doing the same thing. She arches her back, sticking her feet out when she is held. Not all of the time, but ALOT (more times than not). And she's not upset or angry when she's doing this. She's happy and smiling. It seems like she just doesn't want to cuddle/cradle. She does it even more with other people. I'm just wondering if I should be worried about it. I didn't think much about it, except that my sister kept pointing it out and so I looked on line and found others inquiring. She's tall/long for her age and is already sitting up and loves to be in the standing position, so I just assumed it was related to that. Just wondering if you had discovered anything new after visiting the baby chiropracter? Thanks.
#8 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bumping the thread, because my newborn son is doing this a lot - he arches his back constantly.

Anyone else have some ideas?
#9 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
My first child has sensory issues, so I know I sometimes jump to that as a possibility but it does seem like it could be something to consider.
This was my first thought also. Is this a high needs baby?
#10 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM

thought i'd share my experience FWIW.....

I noticed my baby arching alot when we all had a bug and associated it with stomach issues- he also gets eczema which was flaring up at the time, and he was irritable and didnt let anyone else hold him. I took him to our chiropractor and i could see how much better he felt immediately!

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

#11 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 PM

For us, arching is associated with food intollerances and belly discomfort. (lots of farting to follow)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
For us, arching is associated with food intollerances and belly discomfort. (lots of farting to follow)
Us too. DD arches all the time as a little baby, to the point that an OT who was evaluating her for feeding issues felt her arching was creating a high-tone situation which was a major factor in nursing difficulties. She told me to "nip the arching in the bud".

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#13 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 PM

DD (4 months (ALREADY??? Wow!)) is a back archer. For her, it is stomach discomfort. She's EBF and has reflux, and she holds in poop for 2-3-4 days at a time. She'll arch, pass gas and settle for a bit. Or sometimes it doesn't seem to help at all, even if she did toot. She's been gassy since birth, pukey since birth, and when she's happy, she's a super easy-going baby, but when she hasn't pooped for 24 hours or more, she's miserable and a bear. DH is a chiro, so she's had regular adjustments since a couple days after a very speedy, all natural, vaginal birth.

How, exactly, are you to "nip it in the bud," LaurieG?
#14 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I am thinking food intolerances may be part of it for my son - I am trying to cut out dairy to see if that might help. He also has spinach green foamy poop (TMI??) and I was told it might be a let down/foremilk hind milk imbalance. So I am trying to regulate things for him, but he does not seem to like being held in the cradle hold so nursing is tough sometimes.

He likes to be flat on his back, sat up and bounced, and sometimes held leaning back on me with his feet up.

I have a feeling it's digestive, but cannot pinpoint what.
#15 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
: Arching your back is also a sensory symptom. Our ds was like that. He hated being worn. He hated having his back rubbed.

But, I would rule out reflux first.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#16 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM

From my daughter's experience her daughter was doing a great deal of arching. When my daughter read the ingredients on the baby formula she was surprised and dismayed to read that the first ingredient was corn syrup - now why on earth would the manufacturers start our kids off with so much sugar? Fructose is another popular ingredient. SO WITHIN a day or two after going to Whole Foods and buying a formula WITHOUT the sugar my grand daughter STOPPED the arching. Amazon also carries the formula. I just get so upset when I think about the obesity in America and realize it starts in infancy though manufacturers of baby food.
#17 of 18 Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Hello,

I know this is a really old post, but was Just wondering if your littlen ever grew out of the back arching?

My 3 month old is doing exactly the same and has done since birth.
#18 of 18 Old 07-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photochef View Post
Bumping the thread, because my newborn son is doing this a lot - he arches his back constantly.

Anyone else have some ideas?
Hi photochef,

I have a 3 month old who has been doing the same since birth. How is ur son?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page