PMS related depression...PMDD?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get really depressed nearly every month when I have my period. I don't actually get a period, because I have an IUD (Mirena), but I do get a little spotting and a few cramps, all less since getting the Mirena, however the depression and mood problems are the same.

I'm looking for natural treatment options for this. I don't know if it is severe enough to be PMDD, but I have been diagnosed clinically depressed in the past. I generally can keep things under control most of the time, but during my period, life just sucks and the littlest thing can bring me to tears.

Anyways, I don't have insurance, so I'm looking for some other options. I also have PCOS if anyone finds that information relevant. I take a couple different Omega Oil blends, including Fish Oil and Udo's Oil.

I've read that natural progesterone helps, but is this compatible with breastfeeding. My LO nurses very little, but I don't want anything to effect her negatively.
#2 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
nic

Sorry you struggle with PMS. I'm right there with you. Although I'd say mine is positively PMDD. It's awful and I've tried many things, some of which have brought minor relief but I've found no panacea yet.

I actually am just starting a progesterone cream again (after using it inconsistently several years ago). I do not know about safety with breastfeeding. I'm sure a lactation consultant could answer that or maybe Kellymom.com?

I also take B6 and Cal/Mag along with a fish oil. I think these things are helpful. My naturopath also had me take Rhodiola (herb) which is very helpful for a lot of PMS sufferers. Not so much for me, but worth looking at maybe? Some people swear by Chaste Tree Berry as well. I find it helps some of my physical symptoms but not so much the emotional ones.

I've also recently read about how caffeine and sugar wreak havoc on hormones and how eliminating them from your diet can dramatically reduce or eliminate PMDD symptoms. I've heard there was a connection before but I was never really willing or ready to eliminate them. Well, now I am. I'm slowly weaning myself from coffee and already have stopped chocolate and haven't had sugar in a week. I know a woman who had awful PMDD (she would become suicidal -- very severe mood stuff) and she has zero symptoms after eliminating sugar (and strictly eliminating it as in nothing that has sugar in it etc.)

Of course, exercise is really helpful too. Also, tracking my cycles is very important for me. I take it way easy during those high irritability days, and often cancel things if I don't feel up for them and just give people the heads up about how I feel, why I feel that way and what I need (peace, space whatever). Really serious and hard stuff. I wish you well in your journey to find something that works to help you feel better! Feel free to PM me with any other questions or support you may need. I have a lot of empathy for people who suffer with this!

Warmly,

Nicole
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.

I looked it up and it seems that natural progesterone is safe for breastfeeding, but the instructions for taking it are confusing. I have never regularly charted my cycles and I don't always get any spotting, only cramps. But I suppose I could just write down when I get cramps and figure it from there.

Eliminating sugar and caffeine would be so hard. I am definitely addicted to sugar. Does that mean eliminating fruit or anything sweet or just refined sugar?

I just recently found out that my mother has celiac and both her parents and all her siblings have a genetic gluten-sensitivity, which means I probably have it too and will have to quit gluten and possibly dairy. OMG this is so scary. I am an emotional eater and I feel panicy at the thought of not having sugar or wheat or caffeine or dairy. What else is there to eat? Celery?

Maybe I can somehow transfer my attachment to food onto an attachment to yoga or meditation or cleaning...something useful.

I think I will start out with the natural progesterone and then focus on eliminating one thing at a time.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page