UTI natural remedies for baby/ or is it something else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two questions...My 13 mos old has not been herself since last Saturday. But on Tues night she got a fever and vomited twice. She was crying a "pain cry" on and off during the night. her fever lasted through Thurs night then stopped yesterday. All day yesterday she was just not herself, very fussy and we couldn't get her down for bed last night until 10:30! I took her to the pedi on Thurs and she said that she probably had one of the many viruses going around, but if she still had a fever on Sat that she wanted to test her for a UTI ( her urine smells strongly, not bad, but strong...?) She no longer has a fever but is not herself and last night was up every 45 mins-an hour to crying to nurse (doens't usually cry to nurse, just says "mama")and was tossing and turning when when was sleeping. the only way she could sleep was if she was practically on top of me in bed. She seems still slightly out of sorts today, but no fever and she seems easier to distract and play. She is very "needy" though, crying easily and getting so frustrated over the littlest things. If this is a virus that needs to run its course thats fine, but I don't want there to be something going on like a UTI that needs to be treated that is causing her a lot of pain... the only way they can test for this is by taking her into the ER to be catheterised...I don't want to put her through this (and potenetially picking up another virus in the ER) while she is already so miserable if it's not necessary. If this is a UTI are there any natural remedies for babies besides cranberry juice, liquids and yogurt? Or does this just sound like a virus? Sorry this is so long, I just had to get another opinion...I haven't slept more than a few hours in almost five days....I can't have another night like last night, I'm just so stressed about this! Please help...

" The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same." Greta 2/07 and Tallulah 12/09
#2 of 2 Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a UTI. My daughter has had 8 since Jan 2007 and never shows a fever. Just irritability, back pain, and smelly, cloudy urine. I would take her to the ER and have her tested and not wait till Monday for your Doctor. Since your daughter has never had a catheter (mine is cath'd 4 times a day) it may bother her. Yes, it may hurt her (but thats because of the infection). Have them use the smallest catheter they can. Probably a 5 french size.

UTI's are not something to mess around with. If it spreads up into her bladder you are talking hospitalization and could lead to kidney damage. I'm not trying to scare you. But when you are talking about a baby that can't communicate exactly whats going on down there, you need to take the lead. With an older child/adult you can catch it sooner and correct it with cranberry juice/extra water.

Good luck.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page