Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.mothering.com/forum/45-women-s-health/)
-   -   Is this Rubella?? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/45-women-s-health/868383-rubella.html)

i*wish 03-21-2008 03:15 PM

I've never posted in this forum but I'm just dying to figure out if dd has rubella. She has been with a cold for about a week and a half. I seemed to be better last fri-sun and then worse again monday through today. She has had no fever that I'm aware of. Yesterday she broke out with this rash... I don't know if you will be able to tell from these pictures (they're pretty bad) but we'll see. The pics are from today (day#2) and the rash is somewhat faded. It was most prominent on her hands and face but is also all over her arms, front torso, legs and feet (i can't get this to show up in any pictures...). For the most part it looks sorta like a prickly heat rash. Oh, and she's acting pretty much normal for all of this... not 'sick'.
Hope someone can help me....

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/DSC03512.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...i/DSC03514.jpg

Chinese Pistache 03-21-2008 05:15 PM

My guess would be scarlet fever or a random viral rash.

Gitti 03-21-2008 10:54 PM

When the child breaks out in the rash, the virus is no longer a problem and that's why the child does not act sick. The rash will fade within a short time.

That holds true for any viral infection.

I can't tell from the picture what it is. I never really worry about a rash or which one it is. There are many viruses that cause rashes once they are defeated.

i*wish 03-21-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
When the child breaks out in the rash, the virus is no longer a problem and that's why the child does not act sick. The rash will fade within a short time.

That holds true for any viral infection.

I can't tell from the picture what it is. I never really worry about a rash or which one it is. There are many viruses that cause rashes once they are defeated.
This is interesting... she hasn't really been 'sick' at all, though. Not sure if that matters. Could you explain a little about how the virus is 'defeated' once the rash appears?? (If I'm understanding you correctly) Is she not contagious of anything then? I'm keeping her away from so much right now because I'm worried she's contagious... There are a few people in our lives that 'can't get sick'. I hear you that I shouldn't worry regardless... She's just never had a rash like this (all over) and so I'm curious I guess.

I never thought of Scarlet Fever mainly b/c she has not been sick, sick and, also, no fever.....

Thanks so much for replying!

canadianchick 03-22-2008 12:16 AM

DD just got over Fifth disease and had a rash/hives. Whatever it is, I notice that you are pregnant and our doc told us to be careful that dd was not around any pregnant women while broken out.

artgoddess 03-22-2008 12:17 AM

Sounds like fifth disease to me.

LOL, Canadianchick and I cross posted. I really don't think there is much of a risk to pregnancy with fifth disease. It is very mild and on rare occasion can cause issue in the first trimester if a woman who is pregnant gets it, I think that the pregnant mother having cycle cell anemia is also a factor that contributes to the possibly risk to a fetus. But most people have had fifth disease in their lives, and ii has gone undetected simply because it is so mild it hardly warrants a doctor visit. Also, if it is fifth disease, she is no longer contagious. She would have been contagious a week before she got the rash, but there's the rub, and that's why it is so common.

thixle 03-22-2008 12:21 AM

Rubella comes with a super sore throat.
Scarlet fever looks more like a sunburn.
I had both as a small child.

Some random viruses do have short lived rashes and kids don't get sick sick from them (by gosh, I don't think I could name one- and dd had it last year)...

Some stuff, like Fifths Disease (and Rubella, and Mumps) are most contagious just before and about a week after the rash first appears... even if the kiddo is feeling better.

Gitti 03-22-2008 12:33 AM

This is from reading and from raising three kids and helping in raising my three grandkids I've watched infections in kids a lot.

My kids had just about all childhood infections since almost 40 yrs ago there were not so many vaccines on the market and I was one of those reluctant mothers and got only a few of the shots for the kids anyway.

What I have observed.

When a child gets sick they generally get whinny and clingy first. Then often times their eyes get a little watery and slowly they get red cheeks. They'll have a fever. The fever can be just very low and linger for a day or so or get very high. If it is high you can be sure the body monitors it and every so often gives the child a break by naturally cooling off for about 1/2 hour before heating up again. That is the best way for the body to fight an infection and imo that process should never be interrupted.

The fever is the worst stage of the infection but it is the one most necessary for the cure. At that time the child is contagious or I should say that is the case most of the time.

After the fever passes about a day or two later, the child develops a rash. That is the end of the infection and for most viruses the child is not contagious with the rash.

Measles and fifth disease are a little different as is chicken pox.

Each infection is a bit different.

But most mild fevers followed by rash, are very typical of minor childhood infection (immune primers) and are not anything to worry about at all. Most of them are not contagious when the rash is present. The rash of a viral infection fades within 1 - 3 days and often times the skin will peel a little bit the next day. Like with a very mild sunburn.

I don't know what virus your child has but if you are concerned don't expose the child to those who are sick or immune compromised. The rash will be gone soon enough anyway.

Here is a book suggestion for you -

Naturally Healthy Babies and Children by Aviva Jill Romm

mdkarchner 03-23-2008 12:54 AM

Fifth Disease (Parvo virus) actually does post a risk to second/third trimester pregnancies. I couldn't see your images, but the cheeks look like they've been slapped on a child with Parvo.

If a pregnant person contracts parvo in the 2nd/3rd trimester the fetus can become anemic and develop ascites/hydrops. This can be detected by ultrasound and can be treated. Any pregnant person who things they may have contracted it should let their midwife/OB know. They can do bloodwork to see if you've had a recent infection. Also, once you have it you will have immunity forever.

JANmom13 03-24-2008 01:38 AM

I also wouldn't guess Rubella. I had this when I was a kid (go figure, I was fully vaccinated), and I definitely had a fever. It was a HIGH fever, and I was really week, and it lasted for what seemed like forever. My temp was about 105.

mdkarchner 03-24-2008 11:35 PM

Now I can see the pics. Do you think it might look like roseola? Look at these pics: http://skinatlas.com/rosinfantum2.htm