Could she have mumps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter has had a high fever since Thursday morning. She complains about pain in her mouth and down her throat. When you ask her where it hurts she points to her cheeks and she says it hurts under her tongue. She also complains about pain in her legs. She's mopy, fussy, whiny, tired (She has never acted this way before in her life). On exam, the doctor put her on an anti-biotic because of her high fever and because her ears had a "strange luster" and she thought there was puss behind the ear drum. But it's not helping.

What do y'all think? I wondered about mumps when the cheek pain started, now with the pain under the tongue I'm thinking even more so. I'm wondering what I should do.
#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you live? There has been a mumps outbreak in southern Alberta since before Christmas, and many university students were expected to take it home with them so it's probably spread some throughout Canada.

I believe they were doing two tests to confirm mumps here (a nasal swab and maybe a blood draw)? Ask your doctor -- it'd be great to get wild mumps as a child!
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
My daughter has had a high fever since Thursday morning. She complains about pain in her mouth and down her throat. When you ask her where it hurts she points to her cheeks and she says it hurts under her tongue. She also complains about pain in her legs. She's mopy, fussy, whiny, tired (She has never acted this way before in her life). On exam, the doctor put her on an anti-biotic because of her high fever and because her ears had a "strange luster" and she thought there was puss behind the ear drum. But it's not helping.

What do y'all think? I wondered about mumps when the cheek pain started, now with the pain under the tongue I'm thinking even more so. I'm wondering what I should do.
Offer her something with a high acidity, like OJ or tomato juice. That is, often times, a pretty clear clue as to mumps, as the pain is immediate in anything over a mild case!

Personally, I wouldn't have used the antibiotics without having lab work done to see if there really is a bacterial infection. Mumps is viral (as are many illnesses!) and the antibiotics won't do diddly for that. Why take meds for something they won't work on (if, in fact, it is the mumps).

Our ds (age 9+) is recovering from what we feel is mumps. His doctor, too, thinks it sounds like mumps (he hasn't seen ds, but we will have his titers tested after he has recovered). Swollen salivary glands, fever (100-102 degrees), lethargy, sore throat, coughing and stuffiness. It's an airborne disease (caught from the droplets of sneezing and coughing). Keep everyone away from your child and home until she is fully recovered (wait at least a week after the swelling goes away completely, before she goes out in public!!)

There is no treatment for mumps other than to treat the symptoms and keep the child comfortable and wait it out. Ds is great about drinking lots of fluids (stay away from acidic drinks, they can hurt!) and we actually wrapped his face to give the swollen glands some support (vertically, from under the chin to the top of his head), which helped ease the pain. Cold packs felt good, too (some people prefer warm). He took a lot of echinacea tincture (non-alcoholic) and I made a home-made sore throat syrup that had wild cherry bark, plaintain and other medicinal plants and honey in it. Tastes great and helps the throat, too!!! If the weather is mild enough, open the windows and bring in the fresh air. If it is really cold, bundle her up and offer her some fresh, outdoor air a couple of times a day. Time and rest are the "cure" for the mumps.

Google "mumps" and you'll find images of the glands that are affected by the virus. Know, too, that some other illnesses can cause swelling of the salivary glands, but not usually with all the other mumps symptoms to go along with them!!

Hope she feels better soon!!! By the way, have YOU ever had the mumps??
#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 01:12 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Did the doc test her for strep throat?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 PM

I'm wondering the same thing about my son, although his fever just started yesterday. We took him to the doctor today just to rule out strep and flu - he was negative for both. The doctor said "viral flu-like illness", which can mean just about anything. He is so lethargic and doesn't want to eat anything. His temp is staying around 101, which we are not treating yet because his body is doing just what it should be doing. If it gets too high we will treat with Tylenol. I've googled everything, but he doesn't have the classic "cold" symptoms. No stuffy or runny nose. He is complaining of a very sore throat and the doctor commented on the swollen glands. She said all we can do is treat the fever if it gets too high and keep fluids in him. He vomited once last night and once again early this morning, but not again since then. He has been drinking lots of ice water, but doesn't want much else. In a few days we will know more if he starts to look like a chipmunk with food in its cheeks!
#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 AM

Each post I read about recent illness, I am reminded of yet another thing that DS and I just went through.

I actually self-diagnosed DS with mumps, b/c the areas shown on those mumps sites did actually swell up for a day or so, during his 5-day-fever (his 5th day was on my first day of MY 5 day fever). Then I saw that there's no treatment, and my own silly curiousity wasn't enough to drag us into a doctor's office to convince them to take swabs or blood tests or whatever it is they would need...so we just kept on keeping on with supporting immune systems and waiting it through.

So we'll never know.

But his face, sides of face, and throat did indeed hurt. And once I got it, the side of my jaw felt as though someone was BOTH stabbing at it with an icepick and had beaten on it with a fist the day before. OUCH. But I didn't swell. But I don't have tonsils OR adenoids, and my lucky little son does, so I know I'm always going to respond differently to "bugs" than he does, since my front line defense immune system was taken out (adenoids with mom's consent when I was little, tonsils with my consent at 21).

So could your girl have mumps? Maybe. Might she just have what everyone else seems to have? That might be so, too. I know that DS and my illness was 5 days of fever with extreme exhaustion, complete lack of appetite with stomach pain if we did eat, pain in our faces and throat (the kiddo with the tonsils had more throat pain than I did, or than DH-with-no-tonsils right now), food and drink tasting beyond disgusting to us...then that went into extreme nose stuffiness and nasty coughs that last and last. I'm on at least my 10th day since the start of the fever and my cough sounds brand new and I'm going through tissues like crazy...DS still has a bit of a cough and it's been at least 15 days since the start of his fever...DH is still in the middle of it, poor guy. Throw in stabbing pains in other parts of the body, an aching pain all over that makes you think "flu" at first, and you've got as much of the progression of what we had as I can remember!

It would be interesting to find out if she has mumps, but doctors seem so disinterested in actually doing tests to find out if people have illnesses, they just want to symptom-match, and heck, I can do that just as well as they can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page