Double Ear Infection and Antibiotics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after a screaming bout for an hour last night, I went out to get some help at the drug store. We used a homeopatic remedy for earaches and it worked immediately. Similasan is the brand name. He slept fairly well throughout the night and we took him to the doc this morning to see if it indeed was an ear infection. It was, in fact it was a double ear infection. Doc prescribed amoxicillan and said that there is no other way to treat it as the infection is in the middle ear behind the ear drum. He also said that any type of oil that we'd put in his ear would help ease his pain. I was not at the doc appt, DH took him. I really am hesitant to use antibiotics although I do plan to use probiotics with them. I've read that they are not typically any more effective in getting rid of the problem. What other remedies could you suggest? I'm hesitant to use BM in the ear since it didn't seem to work for the blocked tear duct and goopy eyes this time. But the homeopathic remedy seemed to work well, but I realize that isn't necessarily clearing up the infection. Thoughts? What have been your experiences with antibiotics or homeopathy?

This is DS's first illness and I am at a loss what to do naturally. I'm obviously much more hesitant to let a almost 7 mo old wait it out as compared to myself. I know when I'm in too much pain/discomfort, but I really can't gage his very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

anyone???
Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 PM

wildflower, I was just telling swirly how my daughter has healed from recurring painful ear infections (acute otitis media) in this post http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=874567 We have done ear candles before started going to the chiro and it worked nice but until her next infection. I have also given her silver drops directly into her ear, ONLY ONE DROP THOUGH! right after doing the candle. I have taken out so much gunk with each candle but this only works until her next painful infection. The reason for her getting so many ear infections is the lack of draining cause by the misaligned Eustachian tube which you may know, so chiro is the only way to get rid of it completely besides waiting for her to grow out of it with the normal growth of the child, but sometimes they grow into adults and they still suffer from discharged of some sort of. The antibiotic might help killing the bacteria that has grown behind his middle ear but he will still have fluids that will clear up up to three months IF he doesn't get another infection before that! So then you will have to do MORE antibiotics, at this point, the bacteria is becoming resistant to the antibiotics so they will give him a dosis of Augmentin which is made up of Amoxicillin and Clavunatate (a medication that fights resistant bacteria), so there you go... more drugs I highly recommend a chiro, which helps to put that Eustachian tube vertical -- the only way the ear would drain properly.

edited: a useful link!!! http://www.healthychild.com/chiropra...infections.htm

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 AM

i used garlic oil in ds's ear and it did help the pain so much, but didnt get rid of the infection. my friend swears by colloidal (sp?) silver. i gave in and eventually gave the abx (and now we have diarreah~urgh!) but ds if feeling much better. poor thing had a double ear infection and a sinus infection~ both of which will clear up on their own but the suffering he is going through is so sad. with a baby that young i would give the abx and pbx. poor kiddo!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!

User Tag List