Measles Risks - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
THe majority came out okay because back in those days, a lot of natural wisdom knew how to deal with it properly.
This is one thing that concerns me greatly in today's medical world. It seems as though those things have been trained right out of anyone who knows what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
I am not sure about Mendelsohn's observations.

Here is some interesting data on Switzerland's current outbreak:

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/edit...8/080221_1.asp

There certainly seems to be a surge of measles among unvaccinated.
Yes! I live here and it is a big topic of discussion at the moment. A lot of people here follow homeopathic and/or anthroposophic medicine recommendations and have family physicians that are trained in these methods. I ended up with an anthro/homeo doc for my son randomly through my HMO! And that's actually how I got on the delayed/selective/no vax path. Interesting contrast to the US, eh?

There have been no deaths in Switzerland despite a high number of cases. Many if not most of the patients were treated "alternatively" at least initially and a lot of folks think this is why the disease is no big deal...assuming that the treatment doesn't interfere with the body's natural defense mechanisms.

Anyway, my ds isn't vaxed against measles and yet it seems to be popping up everywhere. I never worried about it before, but now that I'm pregnant and will have a small baby around the house...and ds is now starting kindergarten...I admit to worrying about it A LOT. Even if I shouldn't.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The Dr. Sears book says that 1 out of every 1000 people die from the Measles. I wonder why it says that?
there are more deaths in car accidents, every 13 minutes ppl are dying from a car accident

I am eliminating this vax, one less on the list!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM

I have first hand experience,

measles can be quite dangerous and can have severe complications. You see, when I had measles I was jumping on the bed and I fell and cut my head. My mom took me to the doc (had to go in the back way to avoid infecting anyone else) and got stitches.

So my advice, no jumping on the bed if you catch measles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
I am having a hard time sorting out just how dangerous measles is. I am sifting through very conflicting information AND opinion: it's no big deal, kids used to always get it, my grandmother had it and so did all her siblings, no big deal, my grandmother had it and was left deaf, my grandmother's child had seizures, complications rates ARE in fact very high, etc.

What I am having a hard time is interpreting the facts of measles. Is there a way it can be discussed without anecdotal information?

What I am really wanting to know is overall (there are always the exceptions of families who did just fine with measles) how do children fair with the disease? What are the risks?

User Tag List