Mothering Forum banner

Children's vits with Iron?

355 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sbgrace 
#1 ·
DS (almost 5) has been slightly anemic for the past 18 months or so. Our pedi recommended just watching and pushing iron rich foods to up it...but, we are failing.

We went to the pedi yesterday for an ear check, and I mentioned a few things, including bruising (below knee, so Im not worried about other things), tiredness, etc. He is just looking a bit rough as well.

After a quick check, she suggested it might be time to find a supplement for him with iron.

Floradix, no matter how diluted, he will not touch. But, he is big into his own vit box that has "his" daily sup's in it.

Any suggestions??

#2 ·
My son hated floradix and isn't in general picky.

I like ferrous bisglycinate; it is a very well absorbed form not impacted by things like grains that reduce absorption of other iron supplements. We raised my son's levels very quickly with this form at just about his RDA level along with vitamin C. He took 10 mg. basically along with a pinch of sodium ascorbate powder. Prior we used other forms at higher doses without improvement. Others here have shared with me that it worked for their child too when other iron supplements failed. Problem is going to be dosing maybe. I am assuming he can't swallow pills and you wouldn't want him chewing/eating straight any iron even if he was willing to as it can stain teeth (temporarily) and it sounds like he doesn't want liquid forms.

A couple of options. Kirkman labs has ferrous bis-glycinate capsules that are 5 mg. He could help you open the capsule and pour it on a bit of applesauce or pear sauce add a pinch of sodium ascorbate, another bit of sauce on top, and eat it. I dosed my son that way. Or he could help you empty the capsule in a bit of juice--preferably white grape, apple, or carrot, (avoid dark grape or any really dark fruit juices as those block iron absorption) and syringe it in. It is going to taste and that is the hard part. My boys never minded my spoon method. Carrot juice hides other yucky tastes well here. A mix of carrot and white grape might be strong but sufficiently sweet. But this form with vitamin C is your best bet.

Iron just doesn't taste good unfortunately. But it sounds like your kiddo really needs it.

Oh, as far as other vitamins, you don't want iron mixed with any other mineral. It is blocked and/or blocks absorption of: calcium, zinc, and probably magnesium and other minerals too. But definitely zinc. And I've never seen a vitamin include iron and not zinc.

We failed on the iron rich foods too and I kept trying for too long. This form got him up really quickly.
Oh, eggs and nuts block iron absorption. So does dark grape juice or raisins. Enough egg (3 for an adult) probably blocks it for the entire day. At least while you're trying to get his iron up I'd avoid egg and nuts as much as I could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.