please help! test results... (AKA I'm FREAKED OUT!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mamas... hoping someone can put my mind to rest.

i recently had myself tested for celiac's. my mom and brother have it. i tested negative last year, but i was gluten-free at the time, so i thought that might have skewed it.

anyway, i have been gluten-eating for about a year now (again). so i decided to have myself tested after not feeling too great for a while. I had an immunoglobin blood test.

my test reads:

Gluten (f79) IGG 3 MCG/MIL
Class 0/1

Class 0/1 is describes as:
very low

I am unable to find understandable information on what this means. The only real information on low igg points to a type of cancer (!) that is a non-hodgkins lymphoma. however, i don't know if this test is only in regards to gluten antibodies or all anitbodies. I'm a bit freaked. can anyone help?

from the results, i don't think they did IgA or the other TSC or whatever it is.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

no nurses? please?... the cancer that this is linked to is a rare bone kind.

Macroglobulinemia

#3 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 AM

It just sounds to me that you are not IgG-allergic to gluten. That they were just measuring antibodies to gluten, not IgG overall levels, and that you're not reacting to gluten, which is nice.
#4 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 AM

IIRC there are a handful of other things that could cause low IgGs. I would call your Dr and see if they can help decipher it. I've seen a few people's test results for Celiac and they've never been displayed the same way yours are so I'm stumped.
#5 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The test is not the most accurate one to use-here is a quote from an article in the American Family Physician

"In these patients, IgA anti-endomysial antibodies had a sensitivity and specificity of 100 percent. Sensitivity of IgG antigliadin antibodies was 73 percent, and specificity was 74 percent. Sensitivity of IgA antigliadin was 82 percent, and specificity was 83 percent. The authors of this study conclude that IgA antiendomysial antibody is the best screening test "

there are other tests now including genetic id tests ---
#6 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
The test is not the most accurate one to use-here is a quote from an article in the American Family Physician

"In these patients, IgA anti-endomysial antibodies had a sensitivity and specificity of 100 percent. Sensitivity of IgG antigliadin antibodies was 73 percent, and specificity was 74 percent. Sensitivity of IgA antigliadin was 82 percent, and specificity was 83 percent. The authors of this study conclude that IgA antiendomysial antibody is the best screening test "

there are other tests now including genetic id tests ---
yes, now that i've got the results and a whole slew of levels are missing, i'm really mad! it cost me $50 for myself and $50 for my DD and they didn't even do a full panel. I don't have $100 to waste (and DD is 2 and it was traumatic to get the blood). so I'm really mad. but i'm also getting freaked out not understanding the results.

#7 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the lab result you got just means that the IgG antibodies to gluten are very low- but it is not conclusive as you have read. It is also not a summation of all your IgG antibodies so doesn't point to any other type of disease state- so don't worry.
Because you have 1st degree relatives with gluten intolerance you have atleast half the genetic profile

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page