chicken pox exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mods please move if I am in the wrong forum.

I have the opportunity to expose my 2 1/2 year old to chicken pox from a family friend.

I have always felt very strongly that I want my child to acquire a natural immunity to chicken pox but now that the opportunity has presented itself, I am hesitant. Perhaps I have always envisioned her just randomly catching it. I think I would feel really guilty intentionally exposing my little one to any illness. Overall she is very healthy, still nursing - no health problems whatsoever.

Has anyone BTDT and would you be willing to share your wisdom and experience?

Thanks in advance
#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM

I had an opportunity to expose my dd (also 2 1/2) to a perfect stranger's dd, and at the last minute I changed my mind. I think it was because the lady was talking about the kids sharing suckers and I had no idea who these people were. It kind of grossed me out. But then, my little brother (age 7) got CP and I had him over without hesitation. Unfortunately, dd did not get CP from that exposure.

I understand your concern. Making your child sick on purpose seems wrong. If it were anything other than CP I would not do it. But I really want her to get the natural immunity, and imo CP is pretty tame. It's a hard choice. Wish I could be more help...

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just did this, and yes it does seem strange. Especially for me, DD2 has been sick so much in her life, and I felt like I've spend most of it trying to KEEP her from getting ill and then I wanted her to get sick. I didn't know the children who had the CP that well, but they weren't perfect strangers either.

My girls did get chicken pox, DD2 is all scabbed over now, and feeling herself again, DD1 is still breaking out in new pox, but over all it hasn't been that bad. Chicken pox isn't that common around my area anymore, last time I knew of people with it was 3 years ago, so I didn't want to miss this chance, knowing that the chances of them just picking it up from somewhere were slim.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Ha! Iust visited my sis and her poxed () dd to expose my 1 1/2 yr ds and 3 yr dd. I felt a bit aprehensive about purposly trying to get them sick. Esp as we are still eliminating foods to find the cause of my ds's food allergy. But I know my nieces really well and I really want my kuds to get pox when they are not too old.

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page