Do chicken pox scars fade/disappear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD caught the chicken pox from her brother when she was just 2 months old. Everyone told me that babies never get scars from chicken pox, so I wasn't too worried. And then, when it was all over, lo and behold -- three scars! One near her eye, one under her chin and one on her leg. They are the kind of pockmarked scar that dips into the skin -- I can't see how these will ever disappear. I'm feeling bad for DD, and wishing I had been more vigilent.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of mine formed keloid and those are forever on me.

xoxoxox

#3 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I have 2 CP scars - one on my chest and one under my eye. Most people wouldn't even notice them even though I totally do (they don't bother me though). They are basically the color of my skin and look kind of like little flat blisters.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#4 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't remember mine from CP when I was 5 lasting longer than any small wound ever did, might have been there a few months possibly.
#5 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM

I've got a pit-type scar on my face and a more normal looking scar on my stomach from chicken pox. It doesn't really bother me (I don't even notice it when I look in the mirror--though it is pretty obvious--maybe 1/8 of an inch across). But they're definitely not going away. Then again, I was older--maybe 8--when I had the chicken pox.
#6 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Babies do get scars, just like everyone else. They do not fade or go away.
#7 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Some fade a bit, some don't. I've got some scars that are a small white circle, and a couple of large crater like ones that are still discolored. But I was older (9 or 10 years) and had an awful case.
My neice and nephew had a horrible case of cp, and my little neice had them all over her face. You really can't see anything now. Perhaps they are there, but not really noticeable.
#8 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i still have one right by my eye brow. i say it will never fade but it is a badge of honnor hehe no needles got it the natural way
#9 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM

I have one between my eyes - I had chicken pox when I was 2
#10 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM

We don't vaccinate against chickenpox here so almost everyone has one chicken pock scar somewhere.

My dd had it from her brother when she was 5 weeks old at now at 5 she still has a white slightly raised scar on her inner thigh. I have a lighter patch on the side of my waist where I had a massive blister that cracked and scabbed and cracked and scabbed for ages.

Our bodies show our journey through life Don't feel bad and don't make her feel bad about them either.

My dd also has a small red oval birthmark on her forearm and since she was very little we have told her it was where the fairies kissed her.
#11 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Our bodies show our journey through life Don't feel bad and don't make her feel bad about them either.
I love this. It's so true.
#12 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 01:08 PM

I was 18 months old when I had the chicken pox and left a few scars. The most noticeable was pretty much right in the middle of my forehead. I'm in my early 30's now and its still there (though likely not noticeable to anyone but me since I know what I'm looking at).
My older sister (caught them from her- she was 4) had a bad one near her eye (despite being really careful- my mom said she was vain and very good about not scratching : the scab came off in her sleep) you can still see it (again, if you are looking for it)

There is a good chance it will fade over time, even if it doesn't completely go away. Don't blame yourself, though- the scabs & scars are the nature of the disease- and like the pp said
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot
Our bodies show our journey through life Don't feel bad and don't make her feel bad about them either
So true.
#13 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 PM

I bet they will fade, since she has so much growing still to do.

I have one scar from CP when I was five, on the bridge of my nose by my eye. It's a shallow crater about the diameter of a pea, but it isn't really that noticeable. I always kind of liked it, it's like a tattoo.
#14 of 16 Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had plastic surgery on two of my most noticeable pox scars, and they look better.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 16 Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 PM

I think you shouldn't worry about it. I love what a PP said about our bodies showing our journeys through life. I got chicken pox when I was 10, and I had a few scars on my forehead that really have faded since then. They weren't even that bad then, but you could see them if you knew what to look for. I would say they were only noticeable for about 5 years or so. Now (20 years later), I can't see them at all. I bet that since your little one is so young, they will disappear even faster.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#16 of 16 Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Bio Oil is good for scarring, not sure from what age it is recommended from though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page