Laptop near babe's head at night question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is keeping a laptop near my baby's head for a couple hours a night dangerous? Possibly cancer causing? What about cell phones?

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#2 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Is it on a wireless network or are you just worried about EMF from the computer? If it's just the computer you're concerned about, you could check with a cheap gaussmeter to see what the levels are like. I tried that with mine a while back and the levels only seem to be high within a foot of the laptop, and especially underneath it (like if it's on a tabletop).
#3 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 PM

I'm gonna say do not keep this up. www.mercola.com has links to some new research on the cell phone topic that probably also touches on the laptop stuff too. He says basically to just avoid contact with these things, esp for children.
#4 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM

I don't think whether it's on a network or not would matter--those waves are around you as long as your router is on, even if your computer isn't. But I don't know about risk just from the computer running. An LCD screen shouldn't be an issue (other than the ugly light it gives off). I don't know what happens with the innards of the laptop that could be troublesome. I've wondered about this too. I'll admit, though, that I've had my laptop at arm's reach just about every night as I nurse dd to bed. I used to for naps, too, but dh does naps now.
#5 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It's on a wireless, but we have a home computer also. My computer programmer husband thinks it's not a big deal, but I still wonder. He didn't know what a gaussemeter is and neither do I.

Does it matter that her head is so close to it? If it does then we're all in trouble...I mean those of us who use computers daily have our heads close to a computer all the time.

I went to mercola link but they wanted my email before letting me read the article and that just bugs me. However, thank you for the info.
Any other computer geeks out there have an opinion? I just don't get how this stuff works.

#6 of 11 Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 PM

o'h no..not another thing to worry about!
#7 of 11 Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yah...that's what I thought too. Then, there I went again...worrying, googling, worrying, searching, worrying, googling again.

#8 of 11 Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 AM

If I were you, I'd keep it 3 feet away. I don't have the sources here, but my parents have done the research--keep cell phones 3 feet away, too.
#9 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 AM

Well, if keeping a laptop near a child's head is cancer calling then...well my niece is screwed. I don't think it's a big deal, but it never hurts to check. But don't freak out, it's probably just alot of hype. lol.
#10 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM

I would definitely remove the laptop from your baby's vicinity. All electrical devices emit electromagnetic radiation which is weakening to the body and leaches minerals.
#11 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 PM

This thread has lots of good info about this issue.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=893084

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page