So how much garlic should you eat if you are trying to cure a sinus infection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had this nagging sinus infection for the past four weeks (yes, you read that right...*sigh*). I react horribly to antibiotics so they are my last resort. Anyway, it's an upper sinus infection, mainly on my left side (right above my eye..I think they are called the sephenoid (sp?) sinuses or something?). What's bad is that I don't have any drainage at all, it's just a lot of pressure, dizziness, fatigue, low grade fever, and sinus headaches. Drives me BATTY, and makes me worry about possible complications. Saline rinses don't seem to help at all, and I tried putting lemon juice in my nose which helped a little bit, but didn't cure it. I read that eating garlic could help because it's a natural antibiotic, so I boiled a clove and at the whole thing (EWWW)...so should I do that everyday? I've also heard that therapeutic sesame seed oil helps too...any ideas on that?

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM

The garlic has to be raw and unprocessed. Cooked garlic or the capsules have no antibiotic property (though they do have other benefits). You have to eat 5-7 raw cloves a day for 7-10 days. I did it by mashing them into a paste with olive oil and a little coarse salt, and eating it on crusty bread. It was edible, not too horrible that way. Also you must eat within 15 minutes of peeling/ mashing.
#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You're better off with raw garlic, rather than boiled garlic, if you want the antibacterial qualities.

When I'm sick, I'll chop up a clove and swallow the pieces whole, like pills. I take 3-5 raw cloves per day, plus about 1,000 mg (1 gram) of vitamin C each time I eat a clove.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks! Off to get some more garlic cloves and some Vit. C tabs.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is this ok to do while pregnant too? I'm still a bit fuzzy on which herbs are ok in large amounts during pregnancy.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page