So how much garlic should you eat if you are trying to cure a sinus infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had this nagging sinus infection for the past four weeks (yes, you read that right...*sigh*). I react horribly to antibiotics so they are my last resort. Anyway, it's an upper sinus infection, mainly on my left side (right above my eye..I think they are called the sephenoid (sp?) sinuses or something?). What's bad is that I don't have any drainage at all, it's just a lot of pressure, dizziness, fatigue, low grade fever, and sinus headaches. Drives me BATTY, and makes me worry about possible complications. Saline rinses don't seem to help at all, and I tried putting lemon juice in my nose which helped a little bit, but didn't cure it. I read that eating garlic could help because it's a natural antibiotic, so I boiled a clove and at the whole thing (EWWW)...so should I do that everyday? I've also heard that therapeutic sesame seed oil helps too...any ideas on that?

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM

The garlic has to be raw and unprocessed. Cooked garlic or the capsules have no antibiotic property (though they do have other benefits). You have to eat 5-7 raw cloves a day for 7-10 days. I did it by mashing them into a paste with olive oil and a little coarse salt, and eating it on crusty bread. It was edible, not too horrible that way. Also you must eat within 15 minutes of peeling/ mashing.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You're better off with raw garlic, rather than boiled garlic, if you want the antibacterial qualities.

When I'm sick, I'll chop up a clove and swallow the pieces whole, like pills. I take 3-5 raw cloves per day, plus about 1,000 mg (1 gram) of vitamin C each time I eat a clove.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks! Off to get some more garlic cloves and some Vit. C tabs.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is this ok to do while pregnant too? I'm still a bit fuzzy on which herbs are ok in large amounts during pregnancy.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

User Tag List