Why would my baby not be peeing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3 month old and he has only peed once in the last 12 hours. He went 8 hours last night without peeing and when I was packing to go to the ER he finally peed. That was about 3:30 and now it's 7:30 and his diaper is dry. He is nursing like a champ, has no fever and doesn't seem distressed.

We do have a family history of kidney abnormalities but he had a renal ultrasound at 2 weeks old to check for problems and they said he was totally fine.

What could be wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: he just peed. So that's twice in 12 hours! Whew. But that's still not normal urine output for him. He's normally a very heavy wetter. How much should I be worrying about this??
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM

I would be very concerned. We also have a family history of kidney disease (one cousin had a kidney transplant.) I would suspect that a problem has developed since the 2 week mark, and seek medical care. If there is reflux in the kidney, then a renal infection may be soon to follow.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh. My daughter had kidney reflux, among other things. Her urologist said on a scale of grades 1-5, she was a very high five. We were very worried about this baby having reflux and so thankful when the ultrasound came back showing no hydronephrosis. Ugh ugh ugh.

User Tag List