I have Celiac's disease - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 25 years old, and just finding out about it. I suppose this explains the severe vitamin / nutrient deficiencies I've had my entire life.

I'm almost positive my oldest DD has it also. She has more symptoms than I do. So.. now what? I guess the first thing I need to do is drastically change our diet. She is an extremely picky eater to begin with so this is probably not going to be an easy thing to do.

Does anyone else have experience with this, or have good links for recipes?

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 PM

I would recommend you read Virginia Harper's book, "Controlling Chron's Disease" which discusses how to control IBD with diet.

Good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 PM

My cousin was diagnosed with Celiac's around the same age. He was almost on death's door when they finally pinpointed it. I read an old but very good book on the condition, but I forget the authors. It had a strict elimination diet that was recommended for young children and said that 1-2 years on the diet can resolve a lot of problems and most people who follow this thing strictly can go on to eat "normally' as long as they avoid gluten. However it did say that Celiac's diagnosed late in life, like yourself, pretty much have to stay on the strict diet to get any relief. If you think your DD is showing symptoms please have her tested and start working on her diet now-sooner is better with this!
#4 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 01:57 AM

I don't have CD (well, diagnosed anyway, but I'm dealing with symptoms), but DH does and we suspect DD does too. It can be very overwhelming at first, but it gets easier! Once you see how great you're feeling you'll be happy it was found. I have found that my kids are less picky on a GF diet. I have read some suggestions that kids will actually realize a certain food doesn't make them feel good and actually cut it out on there own, making it not so hard for them to be on a GF diet. Check out our GF tribe here, there are a lot of wonderful mamas who are very supportive. For books, the only one I have read is The Gluten Free Bible, it's very handy. I'm also planning on picking up Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic, I have a friend with CD and she tells me this is the most up to date book out there right now.
#5 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM

I suspect my DS has celiac or wheat issue. So I've had to cut out gluten for myself since he is nursing (actually, since he was about 2-3 months old we've been mostly GF).

I am a PICKY eater and I've done pretty good. It does help that we have co-ops here and they carry a good selection of GF products, including ready-to-eat such as frozen pizzas.

So, there will be an adjustment period getting used to new foods, but it does get easier and is possible with picky eaters!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#6 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't have CD, but have realized now that I've cut all gluten out completely that I feel sooo much better and it wasn't as hard as I thought! Though for about the first 1-2 months I did feel like I was going thru wheat withdrawal lol I'd let myself have one wheat product a week for the 1st month and then I had a really nasty experience, which turned me off completely so now I hardly think about it. The Genotype diet and Eat Right For Your Type were the books that turned me on to being gluten free. Though they don't address CD you may find if you do the genotype test to see which body type you are that being GF fits for you anyways!
PM me if you want the link to my genotype blog
Cheers,
Chelsie
PS There are also great books by a woman named Bette Hagman, called the Gluten Free Gourmet. Not many recipes work for me b/c of the other food restrictions I'm following (no corn or white potatos), but if you're not eliminating those the recipes could be great!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#7 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Are any of the people with CD NOT vaccinated?

Just curious because the more I read, the more I do believe there is a strong connection.
#8 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't been officially tested for CD, but I've found that wheat is a HUGE trigger for my FMS. I've been GF for several months, though I'm not sure if I truly need to avoid barley or rye- I don't feel like testing it and risking the reactions!

I sometimes hang out on this forum: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index...1&CookieDate=1 There you can get tons of support and practical advice on going GF.

Gitti- yup, I'm fully vaccinated, on whatever schedule the ped recomended (even if it wasn't required) from birth in 1972. Plus I was given antibiotics repeatedly for childhood ear infections, every fever was "treated" with asprin or acetominophen, and I have several amalgram dental fillings that were put in my permenant teeth during adolescence. I'd guess these things are all contributing to my current health problems.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
I suspect my DS has celiac or wheat issue. So I've had to cut out gluten for myself since he is nursing (actually, since he was about 2-3 months old we've been mostly GF).
IIRC, you cannot pass gluten through breast milk. However, I fully believe some babies have a problem with wheat via bm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Are any of the people with CD NOT vaccinated?

Just curious because the more I read, the more I do believe there is a strong connection.
I was selectively vaxed as a child and do not have confirmed CD, but I do have very strong reactions to eating gluten. DH is confirmed CD and has been vaxed up the wazoo. Both kids have had a few vaxes, DD has had a few more than DS and we suspect she has CD, she has a ton of symptoms. We're not sure on DS yet, he is only showing two mild symptoms, but he is the least vaxed of us all.
#10 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
IIRC, you cannot pass gluten through breast milk. However, I fully believe some babies have a problem with wheat via bm.
I don't think that is correct. When I cut wheat out of my diet, my ds symptoms persisted. When I cut out gluten, they cleared up.

OP - here are some great food blogs that I check all the time.

Karina's Kitchen
The first gf food blog I found. She is absolutely wonderful! Her cornbread recipie is my absolute fav! cornbread
Gluten-free by the Bay
She has tons of links to gf (allergen-free) recipies from other bloggers in her posts. I like her gf flour mix recipie: flour mix
Gluten-free not gluten-freaky
She sells her own gf flour mix but has great info on how gf flours work and what you need to use to replace the gluten.
A Year of Crockpot Cooking
Her dd has CD and she uses mostly prepared mixes.

You can also join the yahoo group GFCF (gluten free casein free). Check around town to see if you have a local Celiacs support group.

It is a bit overwhelming at first, but jump right in and it will be second nature in no time!

Oh - and a very simple flatbread recipie so that you can still eat your sandwiches.

You'll be feeling better in no time!

ETA - I was vaxed w/ everything (born 1982) but my ds is vax and antibiotics free. HTH

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page