Candida Diet and Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the last 10 years I have struggled with chronic yeast infections. I have also had major problems losing weight (yo-yo), bad PMS, painful irregular cycles, acne, etc. I am starting to realize I likely have candida.

I have done the research and established the eating program I need to be on (no sugar, grains, etc.). I am currently breastfeeding an 11 month old baby who eats very little solid food (his choice) and I intend to breastfeed him for at least another year and hopefully longer. I also will likely conceive again before I stop breastfeeding him.

I feel like I need to do the candida diet but I'm a bit worried about the effect the yeast die-off will have on him. Any experience with this?

FWIW, I actually eat a fairly decent diet now although I am trying to give up sugar. I have been shifting towards a traditional foods diet so I eat very little processed food and although giving up all sugar-related products and grains will be tough, I'm in a better position than I've ever been to make it work.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM

My story is similiar to yours. I just started a diet with my husband because we both have a lot of symptoms. I've seen info on websites about doing the diet in phases so that die off is slow. I would probably go slowly if I was breastfeeding.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Did you find any websites you thought were particularly helpful, credible, etc.? I am appalled at the amount of contradictory info out there (what you can eat or not eat). I really want this to work but I also don't want to restrict my diet any more than absolutely necessary. I also admit I don't have a terribly long term outlook. I'd like to fix the problem and move on. I don't want to ever go back to eating junk but I also would like to be able to incorporate things like raw honey and tamari sauce back into my diet as soon as possible.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 AM

I took Threelac (probiotic that targets candida) while breastfeeding and I was told it is safe. A small bit gets through your breastmilk but since it is ok for babies it isn't a big deal. With us my dd had the candida because of me, anyway, so it was treating both of us at the same time.

You can take activated charcoal to help with die-off if that is a problem but I'm not sure what the repercussions are with breastfeeding. I didn't need it so I didn't research it but you could google it and see what you come up with.

From what I've read different foods affect people differently so you have to do some experimenting with what you can and can't eat. Biggest for most people are breads, sugars, fruits. For me bread was the most important.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page