constant green poo in 3 week old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Her ped says not to worry about green poo, but I always thought you should. She has had some stomach trouble, but is gaining weight just fine. I broke down and gave her a pacifier to help soothe her during the tummy aches and this has seemed to help with those, but we are still having green poo. Should I worry?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 AM

I can't say for sure what it is in your case, but with DS2 he had green stool because of his dairy allergy/sensitivity.

After I had been completely off of all forms of dairy for about 2 weeks his diapers were no longer green.

It is a very common allergy, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get out of your system (crazy isn't it?!).

HTH
Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 AM

My first guess on green poo is foremilk/hindmilk issues.

-Angela
Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
I can't say for sure what it is in your case, but with DS2 he had green stool because of his dairy allergy/sensitivity.

After I had been completely off of all forms of dairy for about 2 weeks his diapers were no longer green.

It is a very common allergy, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get out of your system (crazy isn't it?!).

HTH
:

When I cut all dairy out of my diet, dd2's poo was no longer green or bubbly.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 AM

My first thought when I read your post is maybe the baby had a bit of jaundice? Two of my daughters had jaundice and when their bodies started to work it out, their poops went green.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Yep, me too. Try block feeding for a bit and see if that helps. Nothing too "blockish" but just one breast only per feeding should show an improvement.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 AM

I'd also recommend eliminating dairy from both your diets as well as sugar, sugar alternatives (splenda, honey, maple syrup, etc), chocolate, fruit, fruit juices, soda, and tomatoes.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:24 AM

DD also had green poos from food allergies- milk was the worst of them.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Same.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I've been doing block feedings for quite awhile, it's helped alot with her vomiting. She seems more content too, and especially since I gave her a pacifier when I know she is nursing for stomach ache.
I did think of dairy as my older DD is allergic to it, but I only went off of it for a week with no improvement. Maybe, I should try it again. I was really hoping that wouldn't be it.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I've been doing block feedings for quite awhile, it's helped alot with her vomiting. She seems more content too, and especially since I gave her a pacifier when I know she is nursing for stomach ache.
I did think of dairy as my older DD is allergic to it, but I only went off of it for a week with no improvement. Maybe, I should try it again. I was really hoping that wouldn't be it.
Unfortunately, dairy is a tricky one because it can take a long time to fully leave the system. It can take up to a couple weeks to fully leave your body and then up to a few additional weeks to fully leave baby's body. If you are going to give up dairy to see if it helps I would recommend you buckle down for the long haul and plan to have it out for maybe 2 months just so you really know what you're looking at, yk?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I've been doing block feedings for quite awhile, it's helped alot with her vomiting.
How long are your blocks? Do you think you might need to increase them?

-Angela
Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

nak The blocks are anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes. If she feeds shorter than 10, I put her to the same breast she fed from last time. I have very fast let-down too, but she is getting a handle on that now with a little help from me.

She now hasn't pooed since yesterday morning... barely a stain this morning, and until then not even a streak.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
nak The blocks are anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes. If she feeds shorter than 10, I put her to the same breast she fed from last time. I have very fast let-down too, but she is getting a handle on that now with a little help from me.

She now hasn't pooed since yesterday morning... barely a stain this morning, and until then not even a streak.
Lack of poo is not a worry.

How long do you stay on one side- after the first feed on the right, how long until you go to the left?

We had to go up to blocks of 6 hours a couple of times to get green poo to resolve.

-Angela
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

She feeds every couple of hours. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? She feeds off of one breast per feeding. I burp her, and put her back to the same breast. The next feeding she goes to the other breast, if and only if she fed for a significant amount of time on the other. So, is blocking something else?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
She feeds every couple of hours. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? She feeds off of one breast per feeding. I burp her, and put her back to the same breast. The next feeding she goes to the other breast, if and only if she fed for a significant amount of time on the other. So, is blocking something else?
That's how to start block feeding. Then if the green poo doesn't resolve, do ALL feedings for X amount of time on the same side. So if she nurses again before it's been (2 hours, 3 hours, whatever your current time period is) you go back to the breast she nursed on last.

-Angela

User Tag List