Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just like to know...thanks.
#2 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 PM

No, I was overweight for years and felt great. Eating poorly can make you feel like crap though. I normally eat low carb but if I go off my diet for a day I feel crappy.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 08:53 PM

I know I'm more alert and feel better overall when I exercise regularly. And then being overweight can be a symptom of a number of things that would also lead to fatigue. In some cases being overweight can make your body work so hard when you do things that you get worn out. Foods that tend to lead to being overweight--ones low in nutrients and high in calories--can also cause a lack of energy.

One way to find out what's going on, if you don't have other symptoms indicating a problem, would be to increase your activity level, eat only very nutritious foods, and see if you have more energy after two weeks.
#4 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:01 PM

I'm 5'9" and have gone every where between 160 and 200lbs in the past 5 years or so (not including pregnancy).

I don't think my weight had much to do with my energy level...my mental state (which was often related to my weight) did, though. Ditto my activity level.

I was 202 when I gave birth, but I was incredibly energetic and hyper throughout my pregnancy, probably due to my emotional state and the fact that at the time I wasnanny for three kids aged 5 and under (ie...increased activity level) :
#5 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM

If your thyroid is off you can gain weight and have no energy. I was napping at red lights before my hypothyroidism was diagnosed.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#6 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Being overweight does not necessarily mean no energy, it depends on medical condition, activity level and diet, really.

I'm pretty large and if I eat well I have energy. When I'm eating garbage though, my energy level will plummet, and my mood will as well.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM

hypothyroid possibly
#8 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:43 PM

I've been tired for years ranging... I'm presently down 30 lbs from this summer and have even less energy now than I did then... Based on labs from last year (that I was told were normal, grrr!) I've been (kind of)diagnosed as hypothyroid and will be getting new labs done to see how things look now and hopefully find out the cause of my low/non-existent energy... I have been to more than one doctor who tried to blame my low energy on being a mom and being overweight... I think you would have a sense of if it's normal or not though.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#9 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Weight didn't used to make my tired, but that seems to be changing in my late 30s.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#10 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 PM

My allergies really effect my energy level, I think it's because I don't sleep as well when they are acting up.
#11 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 PM

I'm 5'9". I'm as tired now at 175 as I was at 145 (my ideal weight)....it would not surprise me to find out I have a thyroid problem.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#12 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z View Post
Weight didn't used to make my tired, but that seems to be changing in my late 30s.
Yes...as I get older the things that I used to be able to do are more difficult. I used to be able to carry extra pounds and hav e alot of energy..that's changed, I used to smoke and have tons of energy, that changed, I didn't exercise for years and felt great..then that changed.

I am now on a mission to make myself healthy..weight loss is part of that but also eating lots of good wholesome food, exercising etc. and taking better care of myself. Except for a few aches and pains I have regained a degree of wellness that I had in my 20's except now I have to work harder at it.

So yes..simply being heavy can be hard on your body if you are not otherwise taking care of yourself. But I know lots of heavy people who are extremely fit as well..so it's not a given that overweight is tiring.

My friend who is a nurse said something that really resonated with me. She works in a nursing home(and is obese) and said she is really working hard to get down to a reasonable weight because one day she realised that in 20 years she had never seen an obese person in the home that was over 65. And she wasn't talking morbidly obese, she meant 40lbs or more overweight.

So she's doing well, losing slowly.

If you were always overweight and suddenly you feel tired I would look into an underlying condition but my first line of defence would be to lose weight.
#13 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM

I am normally a bit underweight and have no/ very low energy, to the point that it sometimes feels like it's ruining my life. In my case I feel it's due to poor sleep and a tendency to be anemic unless I'm eating super-healthy. I also am borderline hypoglycemic. HTH!
#14 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 AM

I went from a healthy weight for me to obese in a short time. I ended up having some health issues that caused the weight gain and caused me to feel horrible. Now that my health issues are being managed, I feel wonderful, even though I am only just beginning to lose the weight I gained.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#15 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Lack of exercise can make you have no energy. Extra weight on its own won't equal no energy but if it's due to poor food choices or not exercising, I think you'd notice a low energy.
#16 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 AM

For me, it's not weight but diet, activity and mental health that lead to fluctuations in energy. My weight has been pretty stable these last 6 or so years and my energy level waxes and wanes. I am feeling my best when I am getting regular exercise and sex, keeping away from the foods that are not good for me (wheat and dairy) and enjoying my life, taking pleasure in the everyday.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#17 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Can something be wrong? Well, yeah. ;-) Excessive weight gain and fatigue can both be symptoms of many dysfunctions.

I'm not sure exactly what your questions means, though... are you asking "Do I have no energy because I'm overweight?" Or "Does my lack of energy cause me to be overweight?" Both can happen... if you're really tired (for whatever reason, whether it's lifestyle-related such as insufficient sleep, or due to some disorder), you'll be more likely to gain weight, both because your activity level is decreased and because your cortisol levels are higher. Others here have explained that carrying excessive weight can (but does not necessarily) lead to reduced energy levels too.
#18 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
No, I was overweight for years and felt great.
This is true of many of my friends, as well. As a matter of fact, they think it's so funny that I'm the skinny one who runs 4 miles a day, and I always feel like crap while they feel great!
#19 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_mia View Post
If your thyroid is off you can gain weight and have no energy. I was napping at red lights before my hypothyroidism was diagnosed.
yep. Me too. You should your glucose levels checked too.

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#20 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM

Yes, that's true. While I don't think energy level is purely tied to weight, I do think a drastic drop in energy is a sign that something is up.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#21 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 PM

I lost 40 pounds and my energy level increased dramatically.

I didn't change what I ate so much as I reduced my portion sizes and exercised more. The difference in my energy level is incredible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page