Something in my knee popped! Lots of pain! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday DH and I were in the yard with the baby and the dog kicking the dogs big ball around.

I dove for the ball and when I went down I heard and felt this "pop" in the back behind my knee. Followed by immediate pain. It hurts to extend it all the way, and it hurts to bend it - but the pain is only on the back side. There is no bruising, but there is slight swelling it it's tender to manual manipulation.

Any idea what I did? I've iced it, but I don't really have the option to stay off it.

Do I need to see a doc?

Me:
#2 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm not sure if you need to go, but I think I would, my reasoning being: knees are pretty vulnerable to injury, and there seem to be pretty good ways of fixing stuff that tears/breaks. I hurt my knee a couple years ago (but no immediate pain, just gradual pain/swelling) and after a couple days, staying inactive was not an option, it was a requirement. I wasn't healing, and my other knee was getting messed up because I put so much stress on it (limping and standing on the other leg mostly, bending in weird ways to compensate for the injured one). Mine just required rest and TLC, but a pop and immediate pain sounds more serious. But I hope I'm wrong! Take care.
#3 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 02:57 PM

Sounds like a possible torn ligament. Yes, you should see a doctor, and request a scan (MRI. They may start you with an x-ray but to see a torn ligament you'll likely need an MRI).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 02:59 PM

I would go in as well. It doesn't sound like it was dislocated, but it sounds like a tendon may have torn or something. I hope it's nothing too serious.
#5 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Yes, go see a doctor! Knees are important and prone to injury. There are a zillion things you could have done to it.

Over ten years ago I had a bad skiing accident and did something to my knee and never had it checked out. Finally a few years ago, after the pain had returned I went and had it checked out. I now need surgery! I am putting it off of course b/c my DH is out of town for business almost every week and I don't have anyone that can watch the kids.
#6 of 6 Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM

You tore your ACL. Yes, do go see a doctor if you're able. It can slowly heal by itself, but it will take a while and will not be as strong and will always have pain.

My dh tore his ACL and got surgery to repair it, and it works really well now. He occasionally has some pain when he's on his feet for a while. I think he waited a few months between the injury and the surgery. You can wait for a good while, I think. Or you can not fix it, but that has its drawbacks.

Go ahead and google ACL tears just to compare your experience and see what's recommended.

And in the meantime, rest up! I know it's painful.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page