Toddler with uti - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (2yrs 4m) has developed a UTI after a round with diarrhea. We can't get her to drink anything much and she just holds it until she can't anymore. She's sleepy, and in pain. She doesn't have a fever, but does throw up on occasion. DH has her at the docs right now for some ABX, and we just want to make sure we get the right one, and what we need to do to get the best result from that ABX with the least side-effects. She loves yogurt, so I know to give her that. I've cut out her fruit, but put about a Tbsp of juice in her water so she'll drink more of it. I've also added a little vinegar to her water as I've heard that that can help with UTIs. She won't touch anything with cranberry juice in it.
#2 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 AM

Just wondering how she was feeling. Did they catheterize her at the dr? This is the only way to be sure you get the right abx. If you give her yogurt or probiotics, be sure to give them at least 2 hrs after giving the abx.

My dd has kidney probs, and we struggle with uti's a lot. Another mama suggested cranberry supplements (we crush them up and put them in applesauce) and it has worked well.

Hope she is feeling better soon!
#3 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for checking on her. This is her first UTI, so he gave her a shot of Rocephin and Rxed a course of keflex. He said that they would only need to cath her if she had a second infection, as more than likely it was gram-negative and sensitive to Abx. This seemed to fit with what we read when we googled about it yesterday. She does seem to feel better this morning, but we'll have to see how the rest of the day goes. She hates to take the oral keflex. It was so traumatizing to her and me and DH to give it to her. But she felt really bad yesterday.

Anything that can be used for the pain? Thanks for the info on the cranberry supplements.
#4 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM

We haven't had much luck with pain relief other than tylenol and flushing LOTS of water through her.

Giving meds can be very difficult. My dd takes them great (she's been taking them since 6wks and doesn't know any better) but for ds, it's like wrestling a bear!!!

I hope it gets easier, and I hope she is feeling better soon!
#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 AM

The two things that worked wonders for my UTI related pain were

1) aloe vera juice which cools the body all the way through, it's been a while but I'm thinking it was kind of bitter
2) corn silk tea, which tasted like weak watery corn I think the brand was Alvita (however it's spelled it is a Twin Lab co) and I got it at a health food store--it was just dried corn silks like you'd see on top of a fresh ear of corn.

Please post and let us know if either of these are successful for her. I'm so sorry your little girl is going through this (and you too it's awful to see our kiddos in discomfort)

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page