Herbal/vitamin help for PMDD?? (severe PMS) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed pretty severe mood fluctuation between ovulation and onset of period since DS was born (26 months, still nursing). I'd rather not dabble with Prozac or other things until its a last resort. Anyone have any herbal or vitamin regimens that has helped with severe PMS or PMDD? I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff- used some herbal things while pregnant, otherwise I'm a newbie.

I take zyrtec every other day or so for allergies. Otherwise, I take no other meds and am healthy. Again, DS is nursing, but not very frequently.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 AM

How do you feel about supplementing with progesterone? That has been a total lifesaver for me in dealing with out of control PMS along with other unpleasant symptoms related to hormone issues. I posted about this a while back in regards to breastfeeding in that forum. I cut and paste from that post:

"From what I researched I understand the cream should be labeled as "U.S.P. Natural Progesterone" to be effective. It all comes from wild yam but those that are not labeled USP have not been synthesized into usable human progesterone and will do little for you. As for the warning label that is just a legal thing IMO and I take it with a grain of salt in most cases.

I've been using topical progesterone cream for over 5 years because of estrogen dominance and perimenopausal symptoms. I continued through the first trimester of my pregnancy and started back with it as soon as my period returned 6 weeks postpartum. I use it every month from day 14-26 of my cycle, doing so keeps my previously strange cycle regular and my once horrible PMS to a minimum.

Canyon River Naturals makes the stuff I use: http://www.premugest.com/info.htm

This progesterone is in a cream made from emu oil which has molecules small enough to penetrate the skin. I could feel it's effects immediately when I rubbed it on the first time so I knew I'd found a good product! The only thing I don't like is the scent which is very sweet smelling, but I am very scent sensitive so it may just be me."

HTH!

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into it. I should also mention that my symptoms are primarily emotional- I experience few physical symptoms (nothing like severe cramps or headaches) although I do experience waves of nausea throughout the month. Maybe its not related, because I notice waking up feeling nauseas even before ovulation. And I'm definitely not pregnant.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM

You may find some useful ideas here:

Natural Treatments for Premenstrual Syndrome

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Good nutrition, a good quality fish oil, and a Vit. B complex all help my mood considerably! I would really recommend those, if you're looking for something to help with your mood.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2grow View Post
How do you feel about supplementing with progesterone? That has been a total lifesaver for me in dealing with out of control PMS along with other unpleasant symptoms related to hormone issues. I posted about this a while back in regards to breastfeeding in that forum. I cut and paste from that post:

"From what I researched I understand the cream should be labeled as "U.S.P. Natural Progesterone" to be effective. It all comes from wild yam but those that are not labeled USP have not been synthesized into usable human progesterone and will do little for you. As for the warning label that is just a legal thing IMO and I take it with a grain of salt in most cases.

I've been using topical progesterone cream for over 5 years because of estrogen dominance and perimenopausal symptoms. I continued through the first trimester of my pregnancy and started back with it as soon as my period returned 6 weeks postpartum. I use it every month from day 14-26 of my cycle, doing so keeps my previously strange cycle regular and my once horrible PMS to a minimum.

Canyon River Naturals makes the stuff I use: http://www.premugest.com/info.htm

This progesterone is in a cream made from emu oil which has molecules small enough to penetrate the skin. I could feel it's effects immediately when I rubbed it on the first time so I knew I'd found a good product! The only thing I don't like is the scent which is very sweet smelling, but I am very scent sensitive so it may just be me."

HTH!
I've been using Progestorone cream for 4 months, I havent bothered this month, it helped my abdominal tenderness but has not helped my pms that I can notice. i got it from a pharmacy, it was suppost to be 3 month supply has last 4 and there is another month or more worth in there, I'm using motherwort tincture, 5 HTP, Gaba Calm an herbs right now. the motherwort really helps calm anxiety.

I looked at the ingredients of the cream mentions and the UREA and parabens are concerning.

blessings~

dust.gif

User Tag List