Vitamin B12 injections - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at my yearly appointment with my naturopath today and she informed me that according to a recent blood draw I am deficient in vitamin B12. Since I have some absorption issues she suggested an injection of B12. After discussing the ingredients of the vial I chose not to have it. She was also shocked to discover that this had 625 microunits of aluminum!! I am BFing and there's no way I would inject that into my body. She is checking on other options for an injectible but suggested a sublingual B12. Has anyone out there had B12 deficiency? How did you treat it? I know I could eat organ meat, but no thank you!

TIA for your help!
#2 of 21 Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Methylcobalamin 5000 mcg per day sublingual. The shots work so much more quickly though.

How low was your vit B12? Most people are not actually "under" the range.
#3 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Banned

I am a little deficient in B12, due to having an ileostomy, so I get the injections once a month. We did try the pill form at first, but it went through my ileostomy without being fully absorbed (we'd have almost a whole pill just drop into the ostomy bag).

Jessie
(single mommy to Angela, 3 years:and Emma, our angel in heaven)
:::::

We are a pro-nursing family!:::
#4 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 PM

oh crap! i have pernicious anemia, so i have to have the shots...but i never thought to check what was in them! (d'oh). stupid me thought they were just straight b12. UGH. so i don't know what to do now...hmmmm...
#5 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
oh crap! i have pernicious anemia, so i have to have the shots...but i never thought to check what was in them! (d'oh). stupid me thought they were just straight b12. UGH. so i don't know what to do now...hmmmm...
Oh.... I'm sorry!! I've only been thinking about that kind of stuff because I've been researching vaccinations. I feel like lately too much information just makes me crazy!! My naturopath is checking on another option for an injection but she said the cost goes up substantially- not sure what the cost is?? I'll post as soon as I hear back from her. The one she was going to give me with the aluminum I guess has been around for a long time and she said is the most common one that they give.

I think my B12 level was low 200s. If I'm remembering correctly the range was 200-900? The sublingual spray I got has cyanocobalamin 480mcg in it. Do you know what the difference is between that and methylcobalamin?

Thank you so much for the posts!
#6 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM

If you are using oral supplements I'd choose B12 in the form of methylcobalamin.
The cyanocobalamin works, just for not as long as the methyl and definitely not as long as the hydroxo - plus the methylcobalamin doesn't contain cyanide.

Natural forms of Vitamin B12
#7 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 PM

I've been on b12 shots for almost 5 years. Normal for adults is 300-800, though I feel the best when mine is in the 1200s. When I first started getting my shots my level was 180.

I don't absorb B12 digestively, oral B12 nothing I do not absorb it. The only thing that works is the shots.

The shots are inexpensive 1 vial is under $6 & it has 10 1000mg shots in it. I get my shots twice a month.

My vials contain:

1000mg Cyanocobalamin
1.5% benzyl alcohol
sodium chloride
sodium acetate
acetic acid
sodium hydroxide(and/or) hydrochloric acid
water
#8 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

What differences do you notice when you are on B12 and have normal levels? I think I've been exhausted for so long that I'm not sure what normal feels like!!

FrannieP- This is kind of scary- "the cyanocobalamin works, just for not as long as the methyl and definitely not as long as the hydroxo - plus the methylcobalamin doesn't contain cyanide." Where did you get this information??

CarrieMF- would you mind giving me the name of the B12 you take? That sounds like a good solution. (no pun intended!)

Do you have to take shots for the rest of your life if you're not absorbing?
#9 of 21 Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM

It took me 7 months of monthly shots for me to notice a difference(becuase my level was so low).

The main differences I notice, I am not clumsy anymore, my brain is not foggy, I have energy instead of wanting to sleep 24/7, I no longer bruise by looking at me & when I do bruise they don't last for a month before starting to fade, AF is regular(low b12 can cause anemia which can cause AF to not be regular), I'm not losing my hair, my limbs no longer feel disjointed from my body, my arms & legs, hands & feet are no longer numb and they don't hurt, my cubital tunnel(same thing as carpal tunnel but a different nerve) is gone, I feel like doing things instead of feeling like doing nothing.

When my level was low I had alot of symptoms of MS & was being tested for it. They are all gone.

Quote:
CarrieMF- would you mind giving me the name of the B12 you take? That sounds like a good solution. (no pun intended!)
It is made by Sandoz Canada

Quote:
Do you have to take shots for the rest of your life if you're not absorbing?
yes. I don't have the intrinsic factor to absorb it. some people(like vegetarians) don't get enough in their diet so an oral one will work but it won't for me(and I've tried it, 5 months later all my symptoms were back, AF disappeared for 6 weeks & I lost 1/4 of my hair)
#10 of 21 Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks CarrieMF for the information! Wow! It sounds like the B12 can really make a huge difference!!

Has anyone else heard that cyanocobalamin contains cyanide? I think I'm going to try my B12 spray and see if I notice a difference. Thanks for all the help ladies!!
#11 of 21 Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Yes, cyancobalamine contains CN. Apparently there is some rare genetic disease where cyancobalamine should absolutely not be given due to damage to vision. I guess DNA testing is the only way to find out about this, so go for methyl or hydroxycobalamine if you are concerned.

I just started reading a terrific book called, "Could it be B12?" I highly recommend it.

I am apparently deficient in B12 too and also am worried about possible MS because of my symptoms. Scarey. My naturopath is out for another week and it is killing me. I want to do something about this NOW!!! My hands and feet are tingly my pinkies and big toe have a small area that is numb all the time, my arms are weak, and I am dizzy. I also have adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia. I can't tell which symptoms are from which problem. I decided I couldn't wait any longer and went to see my regular MD who I had never met before. Well that was a disaster. After I told her all my junk she spent most of her time rolling her eyes and giving me deep heaving sighs each time I asked a question. Not very nice. Thank you very much for taking my $$ and then treating me like an idiot.

Oh well, I just needed to share. Hope you all figure out what you need to know.
#12 of 21 Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyH View Post

I am apparently deficient in B12 too and also am worried about possible MS because of my symptoms. Scarey. My naturopath is out for another week and it is killing me. I want to do something about this NOW!!! My hands and feet are tingly my pinkies and big toe have a small area that is numb all the time, my arms are weak, and I am dizzy. I also have adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia. I can't tell which symptoms are from which problem. I decided I couldn't wait any longer and went to see my regular MD who I had never met before. Well that was a disaster. After I told her all my junk she spent most of her time rolling her eyes and giving me deep heaving sighs each time I asked a question. Not very nice. Thank you very much for taking my $$ and then treating me like an idiot.

Oh well, I just needed to share. Hope you all figure out what you need to know.

This sounds like my DH and no one can figure it out
#13 of 21 Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the book recommendation MissyH! I'll have to check that one out! Sorry your doctor treated you like that!! Hope you feel better soon!
#14 of 21 Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM

B12 deficiency is surprisingly more and more common given diet and gut issues.

You can get the methyl kind in injection form. I know a chiro here who uses them.

Methyl is the best form for neuro exacerbated B12 deficiency. Remember neuro means brain, but also nerves, muscles, and how they all coordinate.
#15 of 21 Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
B12 deficiency is surprisingly more and more common given diet and gut issues.

You can get the methyl kind in injection form. I know a chiro here who uses them.

Methyl is the best form for neuro exacerbated B12 deficiency. Remember neuro means brain, but also nerves, muscles, and how they all coordinate.
How do you know if you have neuro exacerbated B12 deficiency? I'm always spacey and forgetting things!! Is it B12 or the fact that my 13 month old twins wake me up to nurse every hour??:yawning:

I went to Whole Foods and bought No Shot instant release micro-tabs of Methylcobalamin B12, B6 and Folic Acid. It's sublingual and one tablet has 2 mg B6, 1,000mcg (16,666%) B12 and 400mcg folic acid, and 2mg stevia leaf. It also contains lactose, natural cherry flavor and acacia gum. It sounds pretty clean. Has anyone ever used this brand before? I'm guessing this is safe to use while nursing too??

You mamas are awesome!
#16 of 21 Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 AM

In order to know for sure if you are B12 deficient you would need to get some lab tests done. What is recommended is a serum B12 and a urinary methylmalonic acid. The serum B12 can be falsely normal, but the MMA would pick up the deficiency at the tissue level. Do not just rely on a serum B12.
#17 of 21 Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyH View Post
My hands and feet are tingly my pinkies and big toe have a small area that is numb all the time, my arms are weak, and I am dizzy..
Vit. E deficiency can also cause tingling in hands and feet.

And a doc told me to drink Gatorade when I'm dizzy. It absolutely works for me!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 21 Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM

I got my serum B12 result back yesterday and it was actually pretty high, like in the 800s. Now I'm waiting for the MMA. I will be surprised if it's abnormal because of the serum B12 result.

I would try Gatorade, but I have hypoglycemia so I don't do sugar. I'll look into the vit E thing though.
#19 of 21 Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM

I am posting this because it is really interesting. I havnen't spoken to my naturopath yet about it. I had my serum B12 checked which was in the 800s. I just got back my urine methylmalonic acid test and it was slightly elevated. According to what I have read, that means I'm B12 deficient. Now I guess I will need to start supplementing. I just wanted to share this info. It's true.. you can have totally normal B12 at the serum level, and have an abnormal MMA which indicates what's going on at the tissue level. Really interesting!
#20 of 21 Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM

I took oral B12 . . . my levels would climb, but if I stopped supplementation, they would fall.

I gave up gluten. Now that my gut is healed, I absorb dietary B12 just fine. I also no longer have a folic acid deficiency. I sometimes need IV iron, though.

Check out celiac disease.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#21 of 21 Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page