Probiotics (or something else?) causing stomach pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for some opinions or ideas...

I saw an ND last week who gave me a stronger probiotic than I was currently taking and some astragalus, both to work on strengthening my immune system and healing a leaky gut (DD has some SERIOUS food intolerances, and it turns out I have a few myself.) DD reacted to the astragalus, so I only took that once, on Thursday night. The probiotics I took starting Thursday night, through yesterday. The ND told me to take 2 with food, twice a day. I took 2 Thursday night, 2 Friday morning, 2 Saturday morning, 1 Sunday morning, and 1 yesterday morning. I started getting stomach pains on Saturday I think, which is why I decreased the dosage. I just assumed it was from the probiotics, since they are super strong (HLC High Potency Caps) and have FOS, which I know can cause some initial gas & bloating.

The pain always starts mid-afternoon to early evening; seems to be when my stomach is totally empty. DP went out the other night and got me some seltzer water, which seemed to help a little. After some pretty intense pain last night, I decided I better stop the probiotic for a while. Didn't take any today.. and this afternoon the pain started again. I ate a little, which didn't help at all, and then took some Gas-X or something (some simethicone product), which has helped a tiny bit. The pain is totally centered in my stomach- no abdominal pain or cramping or anything.

I just assumed this is from the probiotics, but how long should it last? I kind of thought that by not taking any today, I would be ok... it shouldn't still be in my stomach, should it? I figured they would all be setting up camp throughout my intestines by now. So now I'm confused...

Does this sound like it's from the probiotics, or should I start looking for other possible causes?

TIA!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#2 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Just bumping this up a bit... hoping for at least some solutions for how to cure a belly ache.

It's a little better after eating dinner and drinking some more seltzer water... we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No one else has had this problem with probiotics???

#3 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 AM

To help settle the stomach...do you have any fennel seeds? You can brew some strong fennel tea (and also just chew some seeds and spit them out). What about ginger? Same thing, or just eat some raw if you like it. Chamomile is also good. I wold say Nux Vomica although it's a homeopathic in lactose. I think you are wise to stop the prob. all together for a few days. Hopefully the pain resolves within a few days. I would then start them again, only VERY slowly. It's quite likely it is the FOS and the stronger prob. but you shouldn't be in acute pain like that. BUT...if the pain does not stop within maybe 3 days you should probably get checked out. You can't catch a frickin' break!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#4 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

No kidding... if it's not one thing here, it's another!

I did try some fennel tea, and some lemon/ginger tea (of course lemon is on our bad list, so that only brought some slight relief followed by some slightly flared eczema ).

It's now turned into a constant pain (not as painful, but always there in the background)... so I'm starting to think it might not be the probiotics after all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page