Tell me about beeturia (beets & rainbow-colored pee) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I haven't eaten beets in years... loved them as a kid, then kind of forgot about them as an adult. I started a rotation diet about a month ago for DD food allergies, and now I eat them every 4 days.

I knew about the purple poo from eating beets... but I had never heard of beets turning your urine colors. And they didn't the first 3 or 4 times I ate them. Last week, I ate beets, and by the next morning my pee was bright red. Yesterday I ate them again, and within an hour I was peeing a rainbow (blood red at first, then pinkish-red by the end of the day)!

I'm just curious how common this is, and if it's normal to keep getting more intense every time I eat beets. I found a lot of websites talking about beeturia- that only 10-14% of the population has it and it doesn't mean anything.

I also found a few sites that said it had been theorized but discredited to be related to food allergies. I thought that was interesting, because DD (still pretty much EBF) and I are struggling with some serious leaky gut/food intolerance issues. So I wonder how much that plays a part...

Just curious if there are other 'beeturia' sufferers out there?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#2 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody eating beets out there today?? Or just nobody else has beeturia? I'm curious...

#3 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 AM

I've never had this happen with beets.

The only thing I've heard of changing urine color b/c of food is metabolic disorders or medications.
#4 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 AM

We eat beets occasionally, but I've never noticed a change in urine color; stool yes, but not urine for us.

Very interesting!
#5 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 AM

if it changes the color of your urine it means you have low hydrochloric acid and the color wasn't properly broken down. it's actually one of hte standard tests for HCl deficiency.
#6 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
if it changes the color of your urine it means you have low hydrochloric acid and the color wasn't properly broken down. it's actually one of hte standard tests for HCl deficiency.
No kidding? I wonder why it seems to be getting worse each time I eat the beets...?

What causes low HCl? I just read Digestive Wellness, which talks about that, but I kind of skipped over that section because I didn't think it applied to me (unlike many of the other digestive conditions in the book...)

I don't know if it's related, but I (and DD, through me) have been working on gut healing and food allergies for almost 6 months... I've been taking digestive enzymes for about 2 months (which should help boost HCl, right?)... and I've had a killer stomach ache for the past 4 days (which started about the time I started taking a stronger probiotic, which I've now stopped taking.)

#7 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 AM

Or it could mean you have porphyria.

Killer stomach ache plus changed urine on ingesting beets.
#8 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Or it could mean you have porphyria.

Killer stomach ache plus changed urine on ingesting beets.
Well that sounds scary...

I actually had the stomach ache long before eating the beets the other day (and I only eat them every 4 days.)

#9 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Porphyria is treatable. It's a disorder, so life-long, but treatable.

But I was just sayin' don't assume it's ONE thing that causes something like that. Most things are multicausal or symptoms of several things.

You might want to get yourself checked out.
#10 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM

beets won't help your HCl levels, nor will digestive enzymes to any great extent at first. HCl supplementally however, will.

It goes along with food allergies. IF you have low HCl you will miss the first stage of digestion and the food won't be broken down well enough allowing larger proteins into the gut.

OF course it could mean many things, but they have low HCl in common so far as I know-hepatic porphyria included.

It is always a good idea to get checked if there is any question. Many ND's recommend this test to determine levels of HCl...Boutenko also talks about it in her book, "Green for Life."
#11 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Is that something that a regular (mainstream) doc would know anything about? I just had a BAD experience with an ND... so until I find a new one (that I can afford- it's not covered under insurance) I'm stuck with the M.D.

#12 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 AM

Yes. But depends on the MD. Try an internist.
#13 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hummm... interesting.

Beets always turn my pee red or pink. I am a BIG beet eater. I will eat a can of pickled beats for lunch and I loooove roasted beets!!

I was always told that it was totally normal.

I kind of associate it with the way asparagus makes your pee smell.

Everyone who shares my love of beets that I have talked to also shares the colored pee experience.
#14 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM

it's very common as most of us have too little HCl, but it is not normal.

http://www.4optimallife.com/Self-Hel...Acid-Test.html
#15 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM

I get red pee from beets too
#16 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Talked to the doctor today... she didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. Totally normal.

#17 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM

common, not normal. Like colic. Common, but not normal. The way I see it is that it's a sign. You can choose to act on it, or not. I don't like to wait for symptoms to reach gross pathology, so when I saw it I acted. We all see things differently, and you don't have any obligation to see it the way I do.

OP, you talked about the relation to food allergies. That's what I was responding to. It is related. Just about any natural doctor will tell you that. So, if you ask a run of the mill MD they will say it's normal (read common.) If you ask an ND they will see it as a sign that your digestion may not be the best it could be. Is it a reason to panic? No. But it is another piece of the puzzle. And another way to address things.
#18 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
common, not normal. Like colic. Common, but not normal. The way I see it is that it's a sign. You can choose to act on it, or not. I don't like to wait for symptoms to reach gross pathology, so when I saw it I acted. We all see things differently, and you don't have any obligation to see it the way I do.

OP, you talked about the relation to food allergies. That's what I was responding to. It is related. Just about any natural doctor will tell you that. So, if you ask a run of the mill MD they will say it's normal (read common.) If you ask an ND they will see it as a sign that your digestion may not be the best it could be. Is it a reason to panic? No. But it is another piece of the puzzle. And another way to address things.
ITA firefaery! I just don't really know what to do with that information... I told all of it to the doc today (including, sorry TMI, that I've had serious stomach pain for the past week and diarrhea for 2 days that included completely undigested food), and she just gave me the, "it's probably viral. We'll just wait and see how you are in a week." And my last visit to an ND (last week) ended up with DD having a violent allergic reaction to one prescription, and me having the stomach pains (I can only assume from the other prescription- a high potency probiotic, different brand than I had been taking). I've completely lost hope in the entire medical community... western AND alternative.

#19 of 24 Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 PM

well, since it seems to be pretty clear that it is related to HCl what I did was supplement HCl. It worked. I used Boutenko's protocol (I dont' agree with her on everything, but the protocol was consistent with others I have read and learned about so when I came across it I went with it.) I supplemented with HCl at meal times just short of feeling the fuzzy sensation. I no longer had the pink urine, and no longer need the HCl (now one pill makes me fuzzy which means I have enough.) Dietary changes were what changed things long term, but the supplementing gave me information.

I hear what you are saying about medicine. It's why I took matters into my own hands. Not saying everyone should. But it served me to collect info on my own and start figuring things out.
#20 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 AM

OP, what kind of probiotics were you taking? I don't want to derail your thread, I am just curious because my youngest, about to turn 4, has been having mostly loose stools, and I was trying some probiotics, and I actually think they were making it worse, but I can't figure out what to do. He had abx in February and his stools haven't been teh same since. Because he had the abx, I just keep thinking he needs probiotics, but I can't figure out if they make it worse or help it. I have tried stopping it altogether and it doesn't seem to go away either, though. But the probiotic we were taking was one of those "super-strong, prescribed by the alternative MD" type.

I always thought probiotics would only help, and the more the better, but now I'm thining maybe that's not the case. What do you guys know?
#21 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

They gave me HLC High Potency Caps. I really don't know if this was related to them or not... I haven't taken them for a few days, and still feeling horrible. I was taking Solgar Advanced Acidophilus, and DD was taking Kirkman Labs Bifido Complex until we learned there might be traces of corn in it (she's allergic.) But most probiotics are dairy-based, which is a big no-no for us. Maybe your LO is sensitive to dairy?? Or- if they contain FOS, that can cause some digestive issues when you start taking it.

#22 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks. I don't know what it is. I tried a couple of different ones by Klaire Labs, no dairy or other allergens. I am just trying to find out if giving too much or too high a potency can actually increase loose stools. I caved and gave him abx, which now I wish I never had. Before that, he had one, perfectly formed, all-one-piece stool per day, with the exception of a few times that I gave a lot of vitamin C that gave him loose stools. Now, ever since the abx, he has 1-2 stools per day, and they are sometimes partially formed, but usually separate in the water. I don't know what is normal! I don't know whether to just lay off of them entirely or to try them persistently for a month or so.

I have the beet red color too, if I eat too many beets. (It has to be an excess for me, though.) That's interesting about the HCl acid, because a friend was just starting to research that and was telling me about it. She is going to take it for a month. Let us know if you try that and the results!
#23 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't eat beets all that much, so can't help you there. But I do give beets to my 2yo dd about every 4 days or so and she ALWAYS has the red color in her urine and also in her stools. Looks like blood (which I know it's not since she just ate beets). I thought this was normal.

What is the HCL you are referring to?

Thanks
#24 of 24 Old 06-06-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
What is the HCL you are referring to?

Thanks
Hydrochloric acid (stomach acid).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page